Lower back pain

jockster_disley
jockster_disley Posts: 25
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
Went for my first 50mile ride today. Been riding for 1 month from a reasonable base fitness. Was generally OK and tired. However I had a bad lower back ache for the last 10 miles. Any ideas. Do I

MTFU
Do some stretching
Build core strength through yoga/non-cycling exercise
Mixture of all of above
Something else

Many thanks for any help, cheers, si

Comments

• chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    I suffer with the same- plus I have bouts of lower back pain off the bike. Mostly caused by tight hamstrings and weak core. Advice to me was swimming and stretching, seems to be working so far...

Have you had a bike fit? Maybe something to cross off the list.
  • I suffered with similar pain. Hamstring stretching and foam roller sessions on the back helped me. I also think part of it is just getting your body used to time in the saddle.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    mike101 wrote:
    I suffered with similar pain. Hamstring stretching and foam roller sessions

This ^, also tight glutes and hip abductors can cause lower back issues.
  • Weird how I have back pain, but none when riding.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Herbsman wrote:
    One of the comments below this video... "I just lost a Ball, somewhere up in my lower abdonman. Is this supposed to happen?" - hilarious :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Weird how I have back pain, but none when riding.

Same here. My back pain stems from a herniated disk and used to flare up regularly, sometimes leaving me having to go up and down stairs on my backside (prior to diagnosis). My chiropractor recommended cycling as it strengthens various muscles to take the load off the back.

However, if it is just occurring on the bike the above regarding hamstrings, hip flexors etc. is a good place to start. But if you are stretching do it after you have got the muscles warm and not before!
  • Too high saddle height can cause lower back pain.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon