Race capes

Herbsman
Herbsman Posts: 2,029
edited October 2012 in Amateur race
Who here uses a race cape? A few people have discouraged me from buying one, saying they get too hot and sweaty. However, after more than an hour of cold rain I was really suffering towards the end of today's race. Is it worth spending £60 on something I'm going to use two or three times a year, or would a windproof jersey (e.g. Endura FS260 pro, also £60) be better?
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Comments

• fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    I own a race cape but never use it. If it's a wet race I use a gilet. I know I'll be soaked whatever I wear, but the gilet ensures my core remains warm enough. I use a clear Assos gilet so you can still (just about) see my race number.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    fish156 wrote:
    I own a race cape but never use it. If it's a wet race I use a gilet. I know I'll be soaked whatever I wear, but the gilet ensures my core remains warm enough. I use a clear Assos gilet so you can still (just about) see my race number.
    +1 for keeping the body warm and lessening wind chill down . out of interest what size have you got for your height for the Assos... ?
  • fish156
    JGSI wrote:
    out of interest what size have you got for your height for the Assos... ?
    Small. 5'8".
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    fish156 wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    Small. 5'8".

cheers, I'm assuming that's a tight fit , at 6 2 should go with a large I suppose
  • fish156
    JGSI wrote:
    fish156 wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    Small. 5'8".

cheers, I'm assuming that's a tight fit , at 6 2 should go with a large I suppose

Yeah a snug fit. I'd recommend trying one on before buying.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I raced yesterday in the rain and used my windproof baselayer. Kept dry and warm and the comms could still see my race numbers. http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_ ... s_id=11916
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I'd recommend a windproof base layer too. I use the Prendas ones.

I have a race cape, but never had to use it racing. Have used it on normal rides though. I got one of the Outwet ones that Planet X were flogging cheap and claiming that Liquigas use. Seemed to do the job ok, for about £30
  • I always fold a cape or at least a gilet in my back pocket... just in case. Nothing worse than getting piss-wet through and cold either racing or training. Mind you, I'm getting pretty soft nowadays!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The notion that anything will keep you dry in the middle of the pack in the pi$$ing rain is a misnomer. The key is just keeping warm so a gilet or windproof baselayer is pretty good.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Monty Dog wrote:
    The notion that anything will keep you dry in the middle of the pack in the pi$$ing rain is a misnomer. The key is just keeping warm so a gilet or windproof baselayer is pretty good.
    With a gilet though, if it's not a clear one, and you've pinned your numbers to it, and then the rain stops and the sun comes out, and you get too warm and need to take it off....
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    Don't pin your numbers to your gilet, just on your jersey. if you're competitive in the last bit of the race (i.e. it actually matters) you can pull it up at the back so the line judges can see them. If you're outside of the points, doesn't matter anyway.
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale