John Terry retires from international football

Comments

• Fairly neutral, one less cnut in an England football jersey but still not enough to bring me to care about the national team again anytime soon, damage has already been done for me. A shame in some ways..I grew up loving football.
  • jumping before he was pushed - no great loss. I bet the restof the squad are worried - while he was on the pitch they knew their wags were safe. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • a great footballer but still hate the guy... maybe Rio Ferdinand won't be excluded for 'footballing reasons' now.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Made my Weekend, I really couldnt get behind an England team with him in it.

I kept having this recurring nightmare of England winning a tournament such as the Euros or World cup and John Terry getting knighted.

Just Ashley Cole to go now! ( not likely as he's the best left back in the world along with Marcelo) and maybe I can really cheer England on again.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    He (and Rio) is getting past it anyway.
    Time to blood new talent, especially with an easy qualifying group.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:

Exactly. Players like Kelly, Richards, Cahill are all better than Terry and Rio now. They are in a similar position Carragher was in 2007.
  • baldwin471 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Exactly. Players like Kelly, Richards, Cahill are all better than Terry and Rio now. They are in a similar position Carragher was in 2007.

Totally agree, time to give some other players a go in that position and lead the England team forward. But I totally agree with JT's decision, he was cleared in a court of law so why are the FA still pursuing this case? Surely the courts hold a higher position in the land than the FA!
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    Courts require a higher standard of proof?
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    a great footballer but still hate the guy... maybe Rio Ferdinand won't be excluded for 'footballing reasons' now.
    Ferdinand should have been discarded for footballing reasons long ago. He's never been in the same league as Terry.
  • He sums up the modern game. What a kn0b.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    DrKJM wrote:
    Courts require a higher standard of proof?

Apparently not according to some ex-compliance officer on the radio last night. The standard of proof for the FA is supposedly on a sliding scale depending on the severity of the case so 51 - 49 might be enough for the FA to find someone guilty of a minor offence but in this case it should be a full 'reasonable doubt' decision.
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    Apparently he gave up the captains armband because it was black.

I'll get my coat....
  • Football... A great game ruined by footballers.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Other than the obvious racism and just generally being a ^$&% the other thing that irritates me about him is his haircut. Does he do it himself or does he actually pay money to get it so short and high on the sides that he looks a bit speshul?

article-2171326-14002A68000005DC-263_634x523.jpg
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    tim wand wrote:
    Made my Weekend, I really couldnt get behind an England team with him in it.

I kept having this recurring nightmare of England winning a tournament such as the Euros or World cup and John Terry getting knighted.

Just Ashley Cole to go now! ( not likely as he's the best left back in the world along with Marcelo) and maybe I can really cheer England on again.

I'm not a rocket scientist but you didn't vote ! I can count beyond 4, just, and there aint no votes for Sad Face option 3.

Put yer money where your mouth is.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Top five. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    What a knobber. Glad he is gone.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Ultimate scum cun7. Would love to give him a bi7ch slap, right around his tw@t like face. His equally scum cun7 brother too.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    Ultimate scum cun7. Would love to give him a bi7ch slap, right around his tw@t like face. His equally scum cun7 brother too.

what would you do with Dennis Wise ?
  • nathancom
    hold him at arms length and laugh as he tried to punch me
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    nathancom wrote:

You must have very long arms.

Apart from the racist comments which were inexcuseable, I don't understand why JT receives such a lot of animosity. Do we expect too much from footballers ? You don't expect them to actually have personality, do you ? Surely they do not or should not set moral precedents/standards of behaviour ? If the press just simply ignored what they did in their private lives instead of being so invasive, no one would be the wiser.
    It's a bit like when a politician has an affair. Who cares ? I don't. As long as he/she is doing their job properly.
    On the one hand we expect anyone in the limelight to be sub-human and not have any frailties or human urges/desires whilst the rest of us behave as we like, which is hypocritical. As far as JT is concerned, I remain neutral. I do not know the guy personally nor can I claim any knowledge of him by reading whats said about him in the press.
    I do not trust the gutter press as they all sing from a hymn sheet set by the editor to further their own ends which is to sell papers in a current culture which panders to the PC brigade..
    If we judge JT simply by his actions on the pitch, you cannot ignore the fact that he has been a very good defender and an exceptional leader. At the time of his supposed racist comments, he had black teammates that showed no resentment towards him whatsoever.
    Sticks and stones will break my... A Ferdinand could have turned the other cheek asked him for a public apology and would have come up smelling of roses either way. To eliminate racism in the terraces is a far more difficult problem to solve.

Wednesday sermon over...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Ask wayne bridges .....reckon he might have a different view :shock:
  • nathancom
    nathancom wrote:

You must have very long arms.

Dennis Wise is only 5ft 6...
  • Jack FM have a string of gags going about him. Most of them along the lines of the rest of the England team are hoping that they no longer get called up for a cap on account of they'd have to leave their WAGs behind.
    Wot, get up early and ride to work?!.... Are you mad?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    4 match ban - that'll deter others!
  • A positively draconian punishment compared to some of the paltry fines UEFA have handed out to some clubs for the same thing.
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    I don't understand why JT receives such a lot of animosity. Do we expect too much from footballers ? You don't expect them to actually have personality, do you ? Surely they do not or should not set moral precedents/standards of behaviour ? If the press just simply ignored what they did in their private lives instead of being so invasive, no one would be the wiser.
    I think maybe the astronomical pay, and their position whether they like it or not as role models for many young people, should go hand in hand with an expectation of good behaviour in the public eye. The fact that much of what they do is in the public eye arises very largely from the high pay. They need to take a tip from Hollywood and develop an exaggerated sense of privacy, or take a pay cut.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    I am just the ambivalent side between not giving a shit and LMFAO.

I would like to think all the purported past goings on e.g.
    • Piss taking US tourists following 9/11
    • Charged and then cleared of affray of nightclub bouncer
    • Public urinating
    • Parking Bentley in disables spaces
    • Accusations of abusing Ledley King
    • Cheating on his missus including allegedly with one of his best friend's and team-mate's partner
    • Newspaper expose of selling tours around Chelsea training camp
    • Found guilty of using racial language by FA panel. Court cleared him of criminal charges but magistrate described Ferdinand as brave and believable. However, "there being a doubt, the only verdict the court can record is one of not guilty"

have been mis-reported and/or a result of him being victimised - surely no one person can be that much of a tw&t.

I don't know John Terry, and there are lots of people in football prepared to vouch for his character, which is the only reason why I am ambivalent.
  • Rat faced racist tw&t

That is all
  • Retired so he can spend more time with other peoples family ;)