removing truvativ cranks

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a big 8mm allen key, but no matter how hard i try i can't gt the bolt to budge. Anyone any tips!?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which cranks? they have made quite a few over the years.

most likely more force needed. but model and year would help?

or model and fitting.

or just a clear photo.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Don't worry, i tried harder and it shifted!

I've just fitted a hope bb (with gxp conversion.) It all went together ok but the cranks don't seem to spin quite as freely as i imagine they should, like there's very slight resistance.
  • nicklouse
    there often is due to:

1 bigger diameter seals.
    2 the BB not having been faced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    3 overdoing the preload
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Fom what I understand, the GXP aspect of it does away with the need to preload? Watching the Hope how-to vid, he just tightens everything right up as the conversion spacers take the extra pressure, although I could be missing something
  • nicklouse
    Fom what I understand, the GXP aspect of it does away with the need to preload? Watching the Hope how-to vid, he just tightens everything right up as the conversion spacers take the extra pressure, although I could be missing something
    correct there is no preload in the GXP set up.