London to Paris via Newhaven - feedback?

enzo berzot
enzo berzot Posts: 96
edited September 2012 in Tour & expedition
Morning all,
Turning 50 next year and I am attempting to cling to my youth by cycling from London to Paris, via Newhaven and Dieppe, for the Tour finish.
The plan is to cycle for 3 days:
Day 1 - London to Newhaven, staying overnight in Newhaven.
Day 2 - I'd get the 10am ferry and then cover around 40 miles or so from Dieppe, probably to Gournay-en-Bray or thereabouts.
Day 3 - will be the run into Paris.

I'm on the lookout for recommended accomodation in Newhaven and also Gournay-en-Bray, and any top tips / must have's from those who have already covered this route -
cheers,
Enzo

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    My only real suggestion is to avoid staying in Newhaven if you can - it's a bit of a hole (apologies to anyone who lives there). Lewes is much nicer (about 10 miles before Newhaven) and has some really nice places to eat.

On the French side, I haven't got a route suggestion for you (Grouney-en-Bray is the right way to go though) as when I did it, we were aiming for West of Paris, so our route reflected this. The first part (to Forges Les Eaux) can be ridden on the Avenue Verte (disused railway line). I rode a small part of this and it was excellent.

Sounds a great way to celebrate - and hopefully see Brad in yellow again! Bonne chance and bonne route!
  • Living in Eastbourne, I would concur that Newhaven really is an awful place. Lewis is a much better suggestion and will not alter your plans too much.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I did this route last year and stayed in Beauvais at the end of day 2. Very pleasant place, recommended.