Orchid New Forest Charity Cycle Ride 16th September

BlakeysFC
BlakeysFC Posts: 233
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone on here's partaking in this?

This'll be my first sportive, doing the 31 mile 'fun' route

Comments

• Did the Essex orchid ride (100 miler) in June...fantastic organisation and a really good day out on the bike for a worthy cause...enjoy!
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • Did the Essex orchid ride (100 miler) in June...fantastic organisation and a really good day out on the bike for a worthy cause...enjoy!

I'm a tiny bit nervous but I'm doing a 31 miles, and I've been doing 25-27 mile runs at weekends for the last 3 weeks, along with 2 mid-week 8 mile hilly training rides so I shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just hoping the weather's nice!
  • Well completed this today.

Was a great experience I must say, 1,000 riders turned up and raised £50,000 for Orchid Cancer Care according to the Steward I spoke to, which is amazing!

Got a bit confused on my way round as to which route I was doing...thought I was doing the 31 mile 'medium'....but the 31 mile course was actually called the 'short' which confused me...so I ended up completing the Medium route which was 44 miles, well chuffed with myself, the most I've ever ridden and I loved every second of it :)

Managed to complete it in 3 hours 5 minutes, going 14.2mph average which I was chuffed with too :)

Now onto Ibbo's Cake Quest next weekend! Can't wait!
  • BlakeysFC wrote:

If you see a tall lanky bloke wearing a Wigmore CC club kit (Orange, pink, white and black - its garish so you should see me!) make yourself known to say hi!

Well done on the ride, I've used sportives over the past 18 months as goals to get into cycling, they're good fun.
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• BlakeysFC wrote:

If you see a tall lanky bloke wearing a Wigmore CC club kit (Orange, pink, white and black - its garish so you should see me!) make yourself known to say hi!

Well done on the ride, I've used sportives over the past 18 months as goals to get into cycling, they're good fun.

You still ride with Medway Velo occasionally ? Or are you Wigmore CC all the way ? :wink:
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • BlakeysFC wrote:

You still ride with Medway Velo occasionally ? Or are you Wigmore CC all the way ? :wink:

Hi, haven't seen you for a while, how's it going? I do try and get out with MV, but I've been doing a lot of sportives recently for a charity fundraising challenge so haven't had many Saturdays spare. When the challenge is over I'll be heading out on the Saturday rides more often. I'm still with Wigmore, but I'll prob sign up for MV as well next year as I know more riders with your lot and your club rides are better attended. I'm aiming to start racing next year too so the faster Saturday groups will be good training.
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• GBR1
    GBR1 Posts: 97
    BlakeysFC wrote:

Hi There,

Was wondering of you have done this ride before and if its a good one to do. Its bit of a trek for me but keen if its a nice ride..

Cheers

GBR1
  • GBR1 wrote:
    BlakeysFC wrote:

Hi There,

Was wondering of you have done this ride before and if its a good one to do. Its bit of a trek for me but keen if its a nice ride..

Cheers

GBR1

I haven't done the exact route, but I've ridden around 12 Surrey sportives based around this area, and have certainly ridden all the major climbs and most of the lanes. It's a beautiful are to cycle in, very picturesque country villages and some varying climbs, with some short sharp steep stuff mixed in with some long drags. Ibbo's cake quest always gets a good write up on review web sites, and judging by the amounts of cake on offer I'd say it is worth doing.
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• GBR1
    judging by the amounts of cake on offer I'd say it is worth doing.

Well, thats sold it :)

Thanks for the heads up, prob see you there.....
  • GBR1 wrote:
    BlakeysFC wrote:

Hi There,

Cheers

GBR1

Haven't done this exact ride before, but I live in Surrey so know the kind of lanes/roads to expect, not done any of the big climbs in the area or anything and only chosen the 37.5mile route as I know its usually quite hilly around here.

I'm looking forward to it alot, did 44 miles yesterday which has given me a hell of alot of confidence going into the Cake Quest now :)
    BlakeysFC wrote:

Will do :)
  • BlakeysFC wrote:

Hi, haven't seen you for a while, how's it going? I do try and get out with MV, but I've been doing a lot of sportives recently for a charity fundraising challenge so haven't had many Saturdays spare. When the challenge is over I'll be heading out on the Saturday rides more often. I'm still with Wigmore, but I'll prob sign up for MV as well next year as I know more riders with your lot and your club rides are better attended. I'm aiming to start racing next year too so the faster Saturday groups will be good training.

I'm ok, been out for a few consecutive saturdays now, work allowing. Sounds like you've been busy on sportives, but when you finish your challenge (chapeau btw) and want to race train through the winter, give me a shout as I am going to race again next year, there will be a few club runs with a "racing group" through the winter going faster but longer than the main groups. Say hello to Graham Coxon at Wigmore from me, he's an old army pal.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • I'm ok, been out for a few consecutive saturdays now, work allowing. Sounds like you've been busy on sportives, but when you finish your challenge (chapeau btw) and want to race train through the winter, give me a shout as I am going to race again next year, there will be a few club runs with a "racing group" through the winter going faster but longer than the main groups. Say hello to Graham Coxon at Wigmore from me, he's an old army pal.
    Cheers,
    Dave.

I'd definitely be up for some race training mate. I'm going for a power/threshold test with a coach that was recommended by the club after the challenge, and he's going to draw up a training plan over the winter so I can get up to speed either for the last of the winter series races or to kick on in the spring/summer. I'll catch up with you at a MV ride soon anyway.
    Cheers,
    Ben
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c

• GBR1
    Couldn't make it, hope it didn't rain to much and you guys had a good ride??

Will be doing the Evans Ride it, Biggin hill ride, possibly see you guys there??

GBR1
  • GBR1 wrote:
    Couldn't make it, hope it didn't rain to much and you guys had a good ride??

Will be doing the Evans Ride it, Biggin hill ride, possibly see you guys there??

GBR1

It was overcast and about 18 degrees so just right really, loved it last weekend, the New Forest is an awesome place to cycle.

I'm doing the Evans Cycle 'Short' 30 mile route this Sunday (30th September) so I might see you there pal :)