Women are tougher than men!

jonomc4
jonomc4 Posts: 891
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
For the second year running I have anecdotal evidence that women are tougher than men.

Our so called summer has passed - the weather is chillier (well I am still in short sleeved top but with a base layer) and already I have noticed a large drop off in the number of men cycling.

This week I have seen the proportion of men vs women cyclist drop from about 80/20 to 40/60 (in favour of women).

So why is it - are men who cycle in South East London wimps - or could it be more women come out and cycling when the weather means that they are not obliged to go around in skin tight Lycra? I saw the same thing last year in the winter.

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Dunno, but I was out today in shorts and just a vest under the jersey and most other riders I saw had jackets and bib longs on :shock: For once I had chosen perfect, not cold, not sweaty.

Some strange people about....
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Hmmmhhhh...I'm not sure what part of Sarf East Landan you cycle through but in the parts I do (Rotherhithe, Greenwich, Old Kent Road, New Cross, Blackheath, Woolwich etc) I see way more men than women.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I ride from Bromley to Crystal Palace - you better not be counting me as a woman just because I have long hair!!!?

I didn't see any ladies on bikes today. Which, because I'm a red blooded male with keen eyes, means there weren't any. Loads of dudes though. I ride up a big manly(ish) hill though, and now I think about it -I don't remember ever seeing a lady on a bike riding up it. I'm sure there must be some who do, but I've never seen them in the act as it were.

I'm still wearing a t shirt, but had to put tracksuit bottoms on this week as my knees got cold the other day riding at 7:30am.
  • I'm def a tough old bird. I cycle year round. That might be because I can't drive though. (Just a thought). I haven't dug my winter gear out yet and doubt that I will next week either, the temps are still too high. That's the sunny South East for you. I also cycle up big hills. There again you probably wouldn't want to take me home to introduce me to your parents.
    I see more male cyclists than female cyclists year round, though I don't think that many are commuting. Those that are tend to be cycling slowly. (Obviously keen to get to work). My commute takes in part of a notional cycle route so has a heavier percentage of cyclists than other routes I use. There's also a club I encounter on a Wednesday evening. Dominated by male riders.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Go to Alaska, where the men are men... and the women win the Iditarod
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    hmmm - maybe it is just the time I cycle at? Or maybe all the women just wait till I come out on my bike :)
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    jonomc4 wrote:
    hmmm - maybe it is just the time I cycle at? Or maybe all the women just wait till I come out on my bike :)
    That must be it...
  • I've wussed out yesterday and today. Cleethorpes is colder than London though. And I have no decent cold weather gear yet.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Again I see way more men than women on my SE london commute from SE23 to SW1E via Brixton. Though I did note that there were slightly more women in the lido today than men, but usually the ratio in the lido is pretty even anyway so not sure if it is worth noting.