Minister insulting Police

morstar
morstar Posts: 6,190
edited September 2012 in The cake stop
Unacceptable behaviour, but...

When cycling, why was he not allowed to use the vehicular gate? Was he full of self importance for kicking off or was the officer effectively bullying a cyclist?

I'm not tory supporter but I don't think is quite so black and white as it is portrayed by the media.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Opening the main gates (for vehicles) is a security risk so special measures have to be taken. The MP was being a pompous twonk and should've used the small side gate.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    I'm not sure it's the fact he was angry that he couldn't use the gate, more the fact he referred to the police as 'ducking plebs'.
    Mañana
  • they should have shot him. in the face.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • pb21
    they should have shot him. in the face.

Not the right colour.
    Mañana
  • As far as I can make out, he's both apologised to the officers and accused them of lying and making it up. Classy guy.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • As far as I can make out, he's both apologised to the officers and accused them of lying and making it up. Classy guy.

I'd be more suspicious of him as a modern day politician if he didn't behave like that really, such is my low opinion of them these days.
  • StillGoing
    pb21 wrote:

Not the right colour.

Troll :roll:
  • He's just another upper class 2Hat.......if that had been joe public..he'd have been banged -up
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    philthy3 wrote:
    Opening the main gates (for vehicles) is a security risk so special measures have to be taken. The MP was being a pompous twonk and should've used the small side gate.

So if he'd rolled up in a ministerial limo would they have opened the gate ? Or would they have said have said sorry that's a security risk you'll have to exit your vehicle and walk through the pedestrian gate ?
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    pb21 wrote:

Not the right colour.

Yes he is - blue.
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • What I find a bit odd is that the Beeb is making quite a fuss over this. Is it really important in the whole scheme of things? And why can't get they their story straight?

Are they biased?

[canofworms.jpg]
  • Drumlin wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

So if he'd rolled up in a ministerial limo would they have opened the gate ? Or would they have said have said sorry that's a security risk you'll have to exit your vehicle and walk through the pedestrian gate ?

Of course not but good security is all about taking no greater risk than absolutely necessary. It was no great inconvenience for him to go through the pedestrian gate and so he should have wound his neck in and done as he was told.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • pb21
    Drumlin wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Of course not but good security is all about taking no greater risk than absolutely necessary. It was no great inconvenience for him to go through the pedestrian gate and so he should have wound his neck in and done as he was told.

It's not that he got angry with a policeman it's that he called him 'a ducking pleb'.
    Mañana
  • StillGoing
    Drumlin wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Are you serious? Of course they'd of opened the gates. How do you get a car through the pedestrian gate. :roll:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    philthy3 wrote:
    Drumlin wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Are you serious? Of course they'd of opened the gates. How do you get a car through the pedestrian gate. :roll:

No, he's right, you can get a car into Downing Street but not out, so at the end are stacks and stacks of cars which have amassed over the years, its becoming a massive problem.
  • philthy3 wrote:

Except they'd already opened it for him three times that day.

They just decided that he didn't matter cos he was on a bicycle.
  • WGAF ?

Shock horror, someone is rude to the police who aren't exactly either the flavour of the moment or entirely squeaky clean at any point on the last century.

If he broke the law, arrest him. If he hasn't then grow a pair. I think they are just in shock to find that someone has told them where to get off and are even more horrified to find they probably cannot touch him.

The 'security risk' argument is rubbish. They've done it before and they could have done it again as there was no heightened security status. If there had been, they would have already used that excuse.

Just a plod deciding to be inconsistent and to throw his authority around against someone whose respect he hasn't earned.
  • Another Mitchell boy in trouble!
    Peggy will sort it.......................................
  • He is a tory w@nker.

However, as a government minister he should not behave as he did towards the policeman.

If the police don't command the respect of ministers how on earth can the police expect any respect from the rest of us fcukin' plebs. :roll:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • you scratch any tory - and I mean ANY tory - and you see only ignorance and bigotry and small mindedness.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    you scratch any tory - and I mean ANY tory - and you see only ignorance and bigotry and small mindedness.
    Haven't I told you a million times to stop exaggerating?
  • StillGoing
    WGAF ?

Shock horror, someone is rude to the police who aren't exactly either the flavour of the moment or entirely squeaky clean at any point on the last century.

If he broke the law, arrest him. If he hasn't then grow a pair. I think they are just in shock to find that someone has told them where to get off and are even more horrified to find they probably cannot touch him.

The 'security risk' argument is rubbish. They've done it before and they could have done it again as there was no heightened security status. If there had been, they would have already used that excuse.

Just a plod deciding to be inconsistent and to throw his authority around against someone whose respect he hasn't earned.

Another troll :roll: the security measures is valid. Opening those gates requires armed officers to secure the junction and should only be done for vehicle entry and egress, a feckin bike doesn't need to go through the vehicle gates and create a risk of a car born device being driven through.

You don't like the police; by your rhetoric I dare say they aren't keen you.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    This was a Diplomatic PC so he/she will be used to dealing with Cabinet Ministers etc. Can't see the problem in him using the pedestrian gate.
    M.Rushton
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    It's isn't about the fact that the Chier Whip verbally abused a Police Officer, it's about the use of the word 'pleb' and the perception of class.

Non news IMO and a waste of airtime.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    you scratch any tory - and I mean ANY tory - and you see only ignorance and bigotry and small mindedness.

Speak for yourself
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    It was a cunning plan by the rozzers to feel his collar. Direct him to the pedestrian gate and then nick him for cycling on the pavement 8)
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • pb21
    It’s not the perception of class; it’s the perception of what he thinks about class.

When talking about class you would be hard pushed to say the policeman was in the same class as the MP, and that isn’t the issue.

However to call someone of a lower class a ‘ducking pleb’ with all lack of respect is very telling. It’s an indication that he (and most like other tories (and other politicians too no doubt)) feels superior to the policeman, that he is above him, that he rules over him, almost to the extent he views him an underclass not worthy of his respect.
    If a politician doesn’t represent the underclass, which make up maybe 90% of the population you have to question how much they actually believe ‘we are all in this together’.
    Mañana
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    pb21 wrote:
    It’s not the perception of class; it’s the perception of what he thinks about class.

When talking about class you would be hard pushed to say the policeman was in the same class as the MP, and that isn’t the issue.

However to call someone of a lower class a ‘ducking pleb’ with all lack of respect is very telling. It’s an indication that he (and most like other tories (and other politicians too no doubt)) feels superior to the policeman, that he is above him, that he rules over him, almost to the extent he views him an underclass not worthy of his respect.
    If a politician doesn’t represent the underclass, which make up maybe 90% of the population you have to question how much they actually believe ‘we are all in this together’.

Exactly, the perception of class.

That said, I use the word Pleb, but It doesn't carry any connotations of class, so can you be sure that it did here ? The answer to that is no you can't, you can only speculate; so the offence should just be that of verbal assault (or what ever its called), just as it would be if he'd called the police officer a F*cking Pr*ck.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Well with the election of Police Commissioners coming the Tory one for West Mids has just lost my vote.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • pb21
    MattC59 wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

Exactly, the perception of class.

That said, I use the word Pleb, but It doesn't carry any connotations of class, so can you be sure that it did here ? The answer to that is no you can't, you can only speculate; so the offence should just be that of verbal assault (or what ever its called), just as it would be if he'd called the police officer a F*cking Pr*ck.

If he had called the policeman a prick, then this would be less of an issue for me. Everyone gets angry and most people will show that anger via communication.

Why did he choose he word pleb instead of prick? Like you say who knows, but you would like to think that an intelligent man would be able to communicate his feelings.

I don’t like the idea that we are governed by elitist people who seemingly have no respect for the vast majority, whilst at the same time being told by those same people ‘we are all in this together’.
    Mañana