Where's Belfast?

Ginjafro
Ginjafro Posts: 572
edited September 2012 in The cake stop
Bear with me on this one, I know exactly where Belfast is.....

The BBC news this morning did a segment on Maps (All to do with Apple's failure to provide accurate cartography). The roving reporter questioned a few people in Leeds city center. She approached a young fellah, probably aged about 19 years old and asked him to point out Belfast on a map of the British Isles. Simple? He said something like, "Belfast, its in Ireland, isn't it?" then confidently pointed to a spot in the region of Anglesey!

For quite some time I have been aware of some people's quite astonishing levels of ignorance with regards to there surroundings and environment but never quite believed it, such as where they actually are and where others live. I live in Cornwall but spoke to someone up north last year who thought I must live somewhere near Spain!

My observation may not be that important but I do wonder how some people learned to breath. :shock:
Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
Cove Hustler
Planet X Pro-Carbon

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    edited September 2012
    Just up the road lawd. Three days trek in me da's aul D-turbo

He was wrong on two counts though.Belfast isn't in Ireland :roll:
  • center?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • center?

Yeah, alright I did originally spell it "centre" but had a brain fart and changed it but nothing to do with my known parameters of ignorance. :wink:
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • What about using 'there' instead of 'their'? ;-)
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    ...and "breath" instead of "breathe"...! :-P
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Not overly suprising, heard a conversation not so long ago where a guy was bemoaning the fact his 16yr old grandaughter didn't know who Hitler was.
  • TommyEss wrote:
    ...and "breath" instead of "breathe"...! :-P
    owenlars wrote:
    What about using 'there' instead of 'their'? ;-)

Oh FFS! I lost a few brain cells last night as well as a few £s in a pub last night. My spelling is usually impeccable, this morning has been disastrously exceptional, however, I do know where Belfast is. :oops:
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Pity Belfast could not have been towed into the atlantic and took all their small minded bigotry with them.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Pity Belfast could not have been towed into the atlantic and took all their small minded bigotry with them.

Where are you from?
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    You're gonna have to explain that one.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    That sounds like a fairly bigoted opinion.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    That sounds like a fairly bigoted opinion.

+1
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

you don't also draw cartoons do you?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258

Belfast NOT in Ireland got that one wrong it is in Ireland .But then you can tell which side you bat for with your nice little flag of Ulster which people in Norn iron use to be bigitit :roll: Nuff said....
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    benjboy wrote:

Belfast NOT in Ireland got that one wrong it is in Ireland .But then you can tell which side you bat for with your nice little flag of Ulster which people in Norn iron use to be bigitit :roll: Nuff said....
    You got the flag wrong, it's the Northern Irish flag rather than the Ulster flag.
  • its called The Ulster Banner is it not ?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It is indeed, but without getting silly the ulster flag has the hand on a yellow background. Not that it all matters really.
  • Technically it is in Ireland, as Northern Ireland is still on the island of ireland whatever your political views are.
  • Vino2007 wrote:
    Technically it is in Ireland, as Northern Ireland is still on the island of ireland whatever your political views are.

you'll get a bite with that one :wink:
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    benjboy wrote:

You got the flag wrong, it's the Northern Irish flag rather than the Ulster flag.

Actually it's the flag of the old Northern Ireland Parliament.

Everyone has an opinion, some peoples opinion will differ from mine. I'll respect their view if they'll respect mine and then we'll move on.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    edited September 2012
    benjboy wrote:

You should take a look at a map and some history before you attempt to post about what countries are where and what cities are known capitals. It would save you embarrassment. By your logic, both Glasgow and Cardiff are in England :lol:

ps: Don't assume you know someone because you recognised a flag as an avatar. You have zero clue about my political and religious views.
    LiamW wrote:
    benjboy wrote:

Actually it's the flag of the old Northern Ireland Parliament.

Everyone has an opinion, some peoples opinion will differ from mine. I'll respect their view if they'll respect mine and then we'll move on.
    Which was dissolved in the '70's but still used by the national football team and the national commonwealth games team.

There is no current legally flown flag of Northern Ireland. Stormont flies the Union Jack(with discussions on the tricolor) making the defunct Ulster Banner like my avatar, the closest thing we have.
  • But isn't Northern Ireland in Ireland? Surely Ireland is really the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland even though they aren't the same country? I always thought there was a clue in the name...
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    edited September 2012
    But isn't Northern Ireland in Ireland?
    It's on the island of Ireland with a land border. What is now Northern Ireland would have (pre 1922) been Ireland. But since we don't live in the past, this means that Belfast, is in Northern Ireland which is part of the United Kingdom. I spend £GBP just like the general population of BikeRadar
    Surely Ireland is really the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland even though they aren't the same country?
    How do you figure? The ROI comprising of 26 counties left the United Kingdom under the Anglo-Irish treaty. The 6 Northern counties opted to remain part of the United Kingdom.

Both have their own laws,governments,currencies and languages.
    I always thought there was a clue in the name...
    The name doesn't tell the whole story.
  • Which was dissolved in the '70's but still used by the national football team and the national commonwealth games team.

There is no current legally flown flag of Northern Ireland. Stormont flies the Union Jack(with discussions on the tricolor) making the defunct Ulster Banner like my avatar, the closest thing we have.

...wanders in
    That's the Union Flag, the Union Jack is flown from ships.
    ...wanders out
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Which was dissolved in the '70's but still used by the national football team and the national commonwealth games team.

...wanders in
    ...wanders out
    Oh? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack

Gets comfortable.
  • But isn't Northern Ireland in Ireland?
    It's on the island of Ireland with a land border. What is now Northern Ireland would have (pre 1922) been Ireland. But since we don't live in the past, this means that Belfast, is in Northern Ireland which is part of the United Kingdom. I spend £GBP just like you.
    Surely Ireland is really the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland even though they aren't the same country?
    How do you figure? The ROI comprising of 26 counties left the United Kingdom under the Anglo-Irish treaty. The 6 Northern counties opted to remain part of the United Kingdom.

That's the point I'm making, apologies for the use of "in" instead of "on". I'm referring to a physical geographical Ireland with two different countries, currencies, govts etc

United Kingdom? GBP just like you? I don't think so. You need a geography lesson mate :wink:
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • But isn't Northern Ireland in Ireland?
    It's on the island of Ireland with a land border. What is now Northern Ireland would have (pre 1922) been Ireland. But since we don't live in the past, this means that Belfast, is in Northern Ireland which is part of the United Kingdom. I spend £GBP just like you.

That's the point I'm making, apologies for the use of "in" instead of "on". I'm referring to a physical geographical Ireland with two different countries, currencies, govts etc

United Kingdom? GBP just like you? I don't think so. You need a geography lesson mate :wink:
    Doh :lol: I should have said "much like the general population of BR" :)
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Which was dissolved in the '70's but still used by the national football team and the national commonwealth games team.

...wanders in
    ...wanders out
    Oh? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack

Gets comfortable.

I'm not sure Wikipedia is 100% reliable - when anything says "commonly referred to as" you can pretty much always substitute in "general population who couldn't be arsed to look up the correct term" - in the history of flags, jacks are flown from ships, flags from land. However, much like VED versus Road Tax, I think we all know what each other's talking about, even if one term is technically incorrect in both cases!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • excuse my ignorance, but what does T.M.H.N.E.T.-- stand for ? doesn't roll easy off the tongue :wink:
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Teenage Mutant Hero Ninja Eradiated Turtle, duh :P