So, street fundraisers

thomthom
thomthom Posts: 3,574
edited September 2012 in The cake stop
Would they be considered to be more or just as annoying as being planed half to death by a cheese knife?

Comments

• guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    KIll them in the face.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    As tiresome as being kicked to death by a duck
  • Work on your deadpan delivery and just lie to them, tell them you've a terminal illness or some serious trauma going on in your life and watch them back pedal sharpish. I don't say this in jest either, as a youngster I remember one of these types tracking my Dad down the street for ages during a time when he was unemployed and repeatedly saying 'just 10p, go on it can't hurt' with my Dad repeatedly replying '10p is a lot to some of us' and the dickhead not taking any notice, but my dad was too proud to say why he wasn't giving. Looking back now I wish the old man had just chinned him....
  • I can honestly say I've never been persued by one or felt threatened. But I do feel uncomfortable sometimes when walking past one shaking their tin under my nose. Personally I find it most irksome when some woman comes in the pub trying to sell you a rose for some charity or another.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,145
    Work on your deadpan delivery and just lie to them, tell them you've a terminal illness or some serious trauma going on in your life and watch them back pedal sharpish. I don't say this in jest either, as a youngster I remember one of these types tracking my Dad down the street for ages during a time when he was unemployed and repeatedly saying 'just 10p, go on it can't hurt' with my Dad repeatedly replying '10p is a lot to some of us' and the dickhead not taking any notice, but my dad was too proud to say why he wasn't giving. Looking back now I wish the old man had just chinned him....

I was approached by a chugger in Cardiff who tried to inform me about a cancer charity. I explained that I knew more about it than they did as my daughter had benefitted from the charity, we regularly donated to them and most of what he was saying was wrong! I'm sure they do more harm than good and the ones who come to my door are even worse.
  • The stretch of road outside my office is always populated by the same street fundraisers, just raising money for a different cause everyday. It can get tiresome saying no to the same person wearing a different coloured t-shirt each day.

Anway, after 4 days of passing "Shelter", "Barnados", "Cancer Research" and "Oxfam", today the same person was dressed as a tiger for the, imaginatively named, "Save the Tiger" charity. I really want to meet the person who walked passed all of the former charities, but walked up to "Save the Tiger" and thought, "yup, that's the one for me!"
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • Pross wrote:
    Work on your deadpan delivery and just lie to them, tell them you've a terminal illness or some serious trauma going on in your life and watch them back pedal sharpish. I don't say this in jest either, as a youngster I remember one of these types tracking my Dad down the street for ages during a time when he was unemployed and repeatedly saying 'just 10p, go on it can't hurt' with my Dad repeatedly replying '10p is a lot to some of us' and the dickhead not taking any notice, but my dad was too proud to say why he wasn't giving. Looking back now I wish the old man had just chinned him....

I was approached by a chugger in Cardiff who tried to inform me about a cancer charity. I explained that I knew more about it than they did as my daughter had benefitted from the charity, we regularly donated to them and most of what he was saying was wrong! I'm sure they do more harm than good and the ones who come to my door are even worse.

^^^ this. i actually stopped donating to macmillan because their doorstep chugger wouldn't leave me alone.
    i explained that in the past 4 years i'd raised in excess of 5k for them through running and cycling and triathlons.
    but he kept telling me that they needed regular donators and wouldn't it be better to give £5 a month steadily?
    now i'm no mathematician but i know that £15x12x4 isn't even close to 5k.
    in the end i just told him to fu*k off and shut the door on him. now my sponsorships go to other charities.
    dic
  • A lady with a clipboard stopped me in the street the other day. She said, "Can you spare a few minutes for cancer research?" I said, "All right, but we won't get much done."

Jimmy Carr
  • seen one of our regular 'chuggers' today, he was flogging the student rag-- zombies are in town again, saw him a bit later in the bookies playing on a fixed odds betting terminal--

Must be the way i look-- don't get many 'bothering me'

The worst are the one's who come round your street, them i do get sharp with, its all commission based flogging , very cynical
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,345
    "Pardon, Je ne parle pas anglais", with a particularly good gaullic shrug works well for me...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Depending on how I'm feeling I handle them in different ways. Mostly I just tell them I'm late for a meeting and can't stop. However, if I have a bit of time then I'll stop and talk to them, lead them on for a while so they think they've cracked a mark, and then tell them "thanks, but no thanks" ;)
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Don't sign up to regular giving if approached by any of these guys, they get a commission from your donation. Just give direct. You know how and you know why.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I had them round my home the other night. Ringing my intercom asking if i could let them into the secured building. I said NO to which they relied "but we are a charity"
  • I can honestly say I've never been persued by one or felt threatened. But I do feel uncomfortable sometimes when walking past one shaking their tin under my nose. Personally I find it most irksome when some woman comes in the pub trying to sell you a rose for some charity or another.

Apparently illegal as it's classed as aggressive begging.... You certainly aren't allowed to though.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • One came up to me in Richmond last summer.
    She said 'do you love animals?'
    I said 'Yes, but I couldn't eat a whole one', and carried on going...
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    I did jury service many years ago on a case where a guy was scamming using street collectors (we sent him down).

I learnt a lot about how it works (it's a bit like pyramid selling; each person in the chain takes a cut). As stated above; give direct to your chosen charity (they get a bigger cut of the donation that way).

Just after the court case I set up a couple of direct debits and haven't given a penny on the street or doorstep since.
  • My mate did this when travelling around Australia, the charity was the children of Chernobyl. He told me the boss got 50% of the takings. He got 40 and the poor children of Chernobyl got the remaining 10. Just say No!
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    They are always camped out in Old Street. Some are more annoying then others. 'll politely say I'm not interested with them. If they persist I'll simply tell them to f*** off.