Regents Park: it's getting a bit hairy?

Toks
Toks Posts: 1,143
edited September 2012 in Training, fitness and health
Now back in the day when I started riding around Central London's most famous training loop you were always grateful for a bit of company. Most of the time you would do quite a number of laps before even meeting another cyclist - so taking turns in 2's, 3's, 4's or even shock horror 'thru and off' in a larger group was pretty a rare occurance. Fast forward 7/8 years and we all know Road Cycling is now very popular so this means your pretty much guaranteed company (preferred or not) nearly every day of the week in RP. Fine, no issue with that, using other riders as carrots is a great way to get those competitive juices flowing. But...pretty much on a daily basis there are large groups of cyclists taking risks - racing through lights, dodging cars, swerving past pedestrians recently in the dark. Worse still in the last couple of weeks I've personally witnessed 2 crashes and the aftermath of a 3rd: A Dynamo rider got taken out in a group; someone knocked down a pedestrian and someone else was taken away in an ambulance. In the previous six years I can't remember ever witnessing a crash. I think biggest risk to safety are the fast groups. I personally feel if your riding as part of a group and you're at the front you have a responsibility to communicate all various hazards to people behind you. Tonights hammerfest, featuring a number of Rapha riders, was quite dicey especially when it got dark - I decided to quit. Guys becareful :roll:

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Pedal harder, stay on the front.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    People are faster than me .. stop them!
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Pedal harder, stay on the front.

How is pedalling harder or staying on the front going to prevent some of the lunacy which has seen innocent third parties get injured, and which will inevitably lead to a crackdown on cycling in RP?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Its the same in High Hazel park....
    More problems but still living....
  • Would love to agree that it's all down to newbies not knowing what they're doing, but I've seen a number of supposed experienced cyclists in full club kits, just fly through lights, especially at the junction with Regents Park Mosque (sorry can't remember the name of the road). The lights seem to be an big issue for those on expensive TT rigs.

Weekend wise it's best to avoid after midday at the latest. Far too many morons not looking were they are walking, too busy talking on the phone and happy to step out into the road.

For now, still a great place to train.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think a lot of them will be newbies. Numbers will probably die off thru the winter and it'll be back to being a niche sport next year.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    same happened 20 years ago in Hyde park for Rollerbladers - a 20% of twats ended up with us losing free run of the park. It will happen with bikes too.
  • Toks
    dw300 wrote:
    Aww bless you sweetheart. Perhaps you shouldn't post past your bedtime, it must be really difficult to follow a thread after a night time feed :roll: Now lets see if I can clarify things just for you in the hope that you don't jump to anymore silly conclusions . I absolutely like riding with people that are faster than me mainly because they make me faster. I just think some people are taking big risks and in few cases it led to accidents :-)
  • ShutUpLegs
    ^
    So what's your point :?:
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Toks wrote:
    dw300 wrote:
    Aww bless you sweetheart. Perhaps you shouldn't post past your bedtime, it must be really difficult to follow a thread after a night time feed :roll: Now lets see if I can clarify things just for you in the hope that you don't jump to anymore silly conclusions . I absolutely like riding with people that are faster than me mainly because they make me faster. I just think some people are taking big risks and in few cases it led to accidents :-)

Did I hit a nerve? I'm not looking for an argument, just checking the possibility that your concern might not actually be for the other people, but for your own safety. Let people do what they want. Why should people be bound to what you think is safe?

Your baby analogy is funny because of your nanny state attitude, and you throwing the toys out of the pram in response. ;)
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    dw300 wrote:
    Let people do what they want. Why should people be bound to what you think is safe?

People riding like twats creates consequences for others. People injuring innocent third parties creates even bigger consequences for others. There are enough people in cars, vans, even in the media who like to bash cyclists at any opportunity - why given them a stick to do it with?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • ShutUpLegs
    phil s wrote:
    dw300 wrote:
    Let people do what they want. Why should people be bound to what you think is safe?

People riding like twats creates consequences for others. People injuring innocent third parties creates even bigger consequences for others. There are enough people in cars, vans, even in the media who like to bash cyclists at any opportunity - why given them a stick to do it with?

Who made you the traffic police :?:
  • Toks
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    ^
    So what's your point :?:
    Er...hi mister one liner I was actually gonna ask you the same thing. Try reading my post again there's deinitley a few points being made. See if you can pick one out, go on I dare ya :roll:
    Dw300 wrote:
    Did I hit a nerve?
    Er....sorry to disappoint you but - not at all!!
    Dw300 wrote:
    I'm not looking for an argument, just checking the possibility that your concern might not actually be for the other people, but for your own safety.
    Sure, so why not just say that then. As I've said in my post, in recent weeks, myself and others have witnessed quite a few crashes on our regular training loop something that never occurred before. I'm basically saying some group riding etiquette would probably prevent some of the future accidents. That will make it safer for all cyclists and pedestrians in the park
    Dw300 wrote:
    Dude, I'm not trying to start a campaign against riding in Regents Park. People are absolutely free to ride how they they want. However selfish and inconsiderate riding is and will create problems
  • ShutUpLegs
    Maybe try posting in road beginners or cake stop rather than 'Training'

<rolls eyes>
  • Toks - ignore these knackers making childish remarks, if they can't see the dangers in the paragraph below they are probably the kind of bafoons you describe.
    Toks wrote:
    But...pretty much on a daily basis there are large groups of cyclists taking risks - racing through lights, dodging cars, swerving past pedestrians recently in the dark. Worse still in the last couple of weeks I've personally witnessed 2 crashes and the aftermath of a 3rd: A Dynamo rider got taken out in a group; someone knocked down a pedestrian and someone else was taken away in an ambulance.

Toks has served his time racing so I think is well placed to call out dangerous practice.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    Hi Toks, you need to get out to the north downs again!

In reply to some of the posts here, riding on the roads is actually governed by various traffic laws so you are not free to ride how you want. Any decent person should also ride with consideration for others, laws or not. If you want to do a session without stopping/dropping pace etc I'd suggest that the roads in London are not the place to do so, get yourself either a turbo or head to the countryside, or try the velodrome (Herne Hill).