Muddyfox Reflex or similar?

declan1
declan1 Posts: 2,470
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone.

You may think I'm new on here - I'm normally active in the road forum as that's my main interest (don't kill me please!!!), but I went for a MTB ride the other night as my road bike had a puncture (long story as to why I didn't patch it) and went to a little trail with a friend. It suddenly brought back my love of mountain biking. I don't know what it was, but I absolutely loved it.

I now want to get a better bike, as my current Mantra (see my sig) is good, but too heavy for the terrain around here. In would also like a full suspension bike (I know, I know...)

I was reading the review of the Muddyfox Reflex just now, and suddenly wanted one. It looks brilliant, and for only £200 it's not gonna be good, but it'll do the job! It's also a good 5KG lighter than my Mantra.

Couple of questions: does it still exist? I've looked online but I can't see anywhere that stocks it - if that's so, do you know of any equivalent that looks the same/has a similar spec for the same money?

Also, could I possibly transfer the fork from my Mantra to the Reflex (or equivalent bike)? The fork on the Reflex does look rather flimsy...

Anyway, thanks for reading my very long post (if you've got this far!), and thanks in advance for any help!!!

Declan

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

Comments

• Be prepared for some responses which may not be what you wanted to hear!

In a nutshell, dont buy full suss at that money. Cheap is crap and heavy. Think hardtail.

Oh, and welcome to the dark side.
  • scarbs85 wrote:
    Be prepared for some responses which may not be what you wanted to hear!

In a nutshell, dont buy full suss at that money. Cheap is crap and heavy. Think hardtail.

Oh, and welcome to the dark side.

What he said :wink:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Muddy Fox used to be a top brand BITD but it's a different company now. Heavy with nasty bits and undamped pogo stick suspension. Avoid like the plague.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • declan1
    I'm not after a good mountain bike (I know that doesn't sound right haha!), as I know you don't get very much for £200. I just love the look of it, and I would love to get one ;)

I have a £200 road bike, and even though it's a pile of ****, I still love it.

Does anyone know where to get one? If not so you perhaps know where to get a semi-decent second hand one for that price?

Thanks!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    If £200 is all you can afford on a bike then it's an awful lot to waste on a bad one just because you like the look of it. Obviously you can buy whatever makes you happy, but for £200 you can get something a lot (A LOT) better than the Muddyfox. It just might not look as 'nice' as the the Muddyfox.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With £200 you can get quite a nice used hardtail that will also look nice, but crucially ride nicely as well, the Muddyfox is a generic piece of scaffold pipe sold under more than a few names.

Try ebay, bikes, and cap it at £200, you should pick up a 3-4 year old reasonable bike for that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    declan1 wrote:
    I'm not after a good mountain bike
    It's not a mountain bike, good doesn't even come into it. It's a BSO.
    Anyone selling one as a mountain bike should be done under trade descriptions.

Although it did get a not too terrible review
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... x-11-45214

I think they are sold through Toys R Us
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

Which really tells you everything you need to know.
  • declan1
    cooldad wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

I knew this was the sort of replies I'd get hehe :lol:

I'm a student, so I don't exactly get an income. If I had a job, I'd save up for a decent MTB (I will do in the future).

Does anyone know of a good second hand bike for that price? Or maybe should I get a nice fork for my Mantra?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I'd just ride the Mantra and save up.
  • Save up another £99 for a Rockrider.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • The Rookie
    Keep an eye on ebay, look for a good hardtail lesser known names will often sell for less, Spesh and similar will sell for more based on the name. Hard to recommend one until we know what you can get!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Us the money to put a Recon fork on the Mantra and you'll have a far, far better bike than that Muddy Fox, which is a clanking, undamped POS.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Are you sure about the muddyfox being 5kg lighter? I'd have thought your mantra would be the lightest of the two. As has been said, upgrade the mantra or buy a hardtail
  • supersonic
    Mantra is 17kg when we reviewed it.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    supersonic wrote:
    Mantra is 17kg when we reviewed it.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
  • supersonic
    £300 hardcore hardtail 5 years ago! It's pretty tough! I'd get new forks, and lighter tyres. I think the tyres were 1kg each...
  • declan1
    I think that's what I might do then. I'll upgrade the tyres when these ones wear out (don't fix what ain't broke!), and I'll save up for a decent fork.

Any recommendations for around £100-150 for a fork?

Thanks for the help guys!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• The Rookie
    We now have three mid 2000's Manitous in the family, all bought off ebay for circa £60 and all work perfectly......they seem pretty bomb proof despite being fairly light at circa 1.5Kg.
  • declan1
    Ok, I had a go at improving my crappy fork today (RST Gila T7).

I unscrewed the two preload adjusters, and poured a load of chain oil inside.

I then put the bike upside-down for 10 minutes, and....

It's much better! The fork actually moves when I hit a bump now. Obviously it's not as nice as a good fork that smooths out every little leaf, but it'll do until I get a new fork.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    i bought a 2nd hand genesis core for 200quid 2year ago i know its not a full suss but was an excellant bike
    .you could easily get something like that.it would be an excellant bike to go to the trails with
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie