It's new base layer time.

specialeyes
specialeyes Posts: 542
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
My synthetic Altura baselayer has seen better days so I'm in need of a new one. I ride all winter so I'm guessing merino is the way to go. Hoping not to spent more than 40 quid though. Anyone got any recommendations? Merino or otherwise.

Last winter was epically cold! Wore the base layer with a decathlon cycling top over it, followed by a t-shirt, gillet and waterproof coat. Would prefer not to wear so many layers.

This is of course on the proviso that manning the f*** up doesn't work! :lol:

Comments

• Altura do some pretty nice merino baselayer
  • Last winter was epically cold!
    Bollocks was it, it only got wintery for about a fortnight. Even more daft when you compare it to the two previous winters we had, when temperatures plummeted to well below -10c

Aaaaanyhoooo.
    I've got some Endura Baabaa baselayers (well, I would wouldn't I, being Welsh and all), and they work a treat.
    They're great for riding to work in winter, since you can use them for two or maybe three days before they need a wash.
    I've also used them for snowboarding.
    They keep you pretty warm, without cooking you, but will still be fine even when it's a bit warmer.
  • Last winter was epically cold!
    Bollocks was it, it only got wintery for about a fortnight. Even more daft when you compare it to the two previous winters we had, when temperatures plummeted to well below -10c

Aaaaanyhoooo.
    I've got some Endura Baabaa baselayers (well, I would wouldn't I, being Welsh and all), and they work a treat.
    They're great for riding to work in winter, since you can use them for two or maybe three days before they need a wash.
    I've also used them for snowboarding.
    They keep you pretty warm, without cooking you, but will still be fine even when it's a bit warmer.

Your probably right. I just can't remember feeling the cold as much in previous winters. Maybe a symptom of getting old. I should probably try throwing a tartan rug over my legs on the bike rides. :wink:

I shall bow to your superior knowledge of all things sheep and have a look at the Baabaa. :)
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Checkout Aldi next Thursday, long sleeve merino wool top for £14.99 - http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/25 ... z_src=main
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    My girlfriend got me a merino baselayer from 'Mountain Warehouse', think that's what it's called, the high street 'outdoor' shop that does own brand stuff like that.

It's good, bloody warm, too warm for cycling most of the time (combined with an Assos/Gore soft shell). The fit's not great, but I'm pretty slim, if you're more representative of the public at large it'd be fine, and it's not an issue, just tuck it into my bib straps.

Not Merino but I've got an Altura compression one which is really good.
  • @ broona, if I can get down to aldi I will definitely be interested. I often miss their offers as they are usually gone by the time I get there.

Njee, looks like some decent prices on their website, cheers.
  • broona wrote:
    Checkout Aldi next Thursday, long sleeve merino wool top for £14.99 - http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/25 ... z_src=main
    I've had a few Aldi merino stuff - it's utter tosh. The vaast, vast majority of it is only abotu 2-5% merino blend, and practically useless.
    Avoid.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    njee20 wrote:
    My girlfriend got me a merino baselayer from 'Mountain Warehouse', think that's what it's called, the high street 'outdoor' shop that does own brand stuff like that.

It's good, bloody warm, too warm for cycling most of the time (combined with an Assos/Gore soft shell). The fit's not great, but I'm pretty slim, if you're more representative of the public at large it'd be fine, and it's not an issue, just tuck it into my bib straps.

Not Merino but I've got an Altura compression one which is really good.

I've noticed that about various mountain warehouse stuff, fit being rubbish, tops especially.

Endura Baabaa layers are awesome though, fit is spot on and they regulate temperature very well and as Yeehaa says you can do a couple days riding and they won't smell.
  • Just thought I'd point out as well, that whilst you think the Aldi style tops, with "some" merino will be fine, they really aren't any better than cotton.
    Merino is still oddly warm even when it's wet. It's the closest thing to witchcraft, I swear.
    And, you can technically be inside a woolly thing, without anyone batting an eyelid. Just try that with a sheep and see the responses the out-of-towners give you :roll:
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I wear a long sleeve Helly Hansen base layer, a Polaris Mamba mid layer then carry a waterproof. I then end up taking everything off other than the base layer when I get too hot.
  • Anything Merino and nothing that isn't is my advice on base layers.
  • I find the Howies NBL to be a better base layer than the Endura one. It's cut slightly higher at the collar, is slight heavier and the back drops a little lower
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    On One do some great Merino and sometimes they do them at silly prices. They have got some white XXL short sleeve ones for £9.99 at the moment On One Merino
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I have a helly hansen freeze which I love - half Merino/half Lifa. Toastie warm and a great fit.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • stubs wrote:
    On One do some great Merino and sometimes they do them at silly prices. They have got some white XXL short sleeve ones for £9.99 at the moment On One Merino

Nice one! Ordered one in xl. Might even use it for work. Still gonna check out the Baabaa though and the lbs has some altura merino in.
  • stubs wrote:
    Ooh, might get some of them.
    I've got some short sleeve merino T-shirts from Rab, but they are pretty expensive, those OnOne ones (!) look liker a great bargain.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Whatever you do don't machine wash your merino with your baggy shorts or anything with Velcro or you will end up with a large ball of wool
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • that's a good call on the on-one tops chers. Just ordered a couple of them.

Also ordered a pair of neoprene overshoes to go over the 5:10s. No idea if they'll work with flats without getting ripped to shreds, but they were a tenner so why not.
  • that's a good call on the on-one tops chers. Just ordered a couple of them.

Also ordered a pair of neoprene overshoes to go over the 5:10s. No idea if they'll work with flats without getting ripped to shreds, but they were a tenner so why not.
    I tried a pair of Endura overshoes - which were totally useless, and resulted in a pair of ruined shoes.
  • You can pick up longsleaved Underarmor Base layers for £10 on M&Mdirect at the moment, seriously cant go wrong at that price!

http://www.mandmdirect.com/products-Under-Armour-Mens-Cold-Gear-Tactical-Compression-Top-Sand_UJ180.htm
    Forme Vision 2011
    MBK Tourer c2000 (Bombproof)
    Raleigh Kellogs Pro Tour 1989

http://www.cyclecommunity.co.uk