Just out of hospital

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited October 2012 in The bottom bracket
Went in last Friday with a broken leg picked up in a friendly game of football. I've got a double led fracture (tibia and fibia) and dislocated ankle. I've got a frame on my leg which is pinned into my bones. The frame probably has to stay on for 2 months and then I'll maybe have metal plates screwed onto the bones.

I am never playing football again.

Comments

• finchy
    394284_446250188752280_153575078_n.jpg
  • johnfinch wrote:

I am never playing football again.

Join Everton - your leg'll be safe as houses.

Get better soon chap. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    You should be in The Walking Dead with that photo...The Limping Dead maybe...

Get well soon, looks gruesome so hope you are getting bucketfuls of sympathy.
  • Well it's a good job it was only a friendly, otherwise you could have been seriously injured. :shock:

Wish you a speedy recovery.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I don't want to worry you further but there's a big lump in your bed as well...
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I assumed that was a very impressive example of morning glory
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    fatdaz wrote:

The 18yr old trainee nurse asked him if he wanted a bed bath :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    'k'in hell.

Football?!
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Here`s some virtual grapes to speed recovery.Whats the bleeding time?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • finchy
    Thanks for the good wishes, and I'd best point out that the lump is my right leg, to which my left leg is still just about attached.

I didn't even get tackled, I just stretched to get the ball, my foot went over it and my hit the ground hard on the other side. Apparently the "snap" could be heard on the other side of the pitch.

The worst thing about this is the timing. My wife is due to give birth any day now and I can't do a thing to help out and I've only just started a new job. I was meant to be training for it over the next couple of months but that's out of the window now. :roll: Luckily my Mum's come to live with us for a while, so she's giving us a load of help and I have very good employers who will do what they can to help when I get back into work.

I'm just trying to think of some sort of intellectual challenge to keep me sane over the next couple of months.
  • ....Sooooo, what do you need after a nasty fracture and lengthy stay in hospital...?

1. A new bike.
    2. A holiday.
    3. New bits for old bike.
    4. Cold beer in the fridge.
    5. New beer fridge to keep the beer cold in.

....Using the internet connection on your phone, have a good scope thru all the above to make your choices -
    and order....

Get well soon mate,
    tip; it WILL be boring in a hosp bed when used to pedaling like a mad thing....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Jesus that looks gory! :shock: My scrotum has shrivelled to the size of a walnut!

Speedy / complete recovery!
  • keef66 wrote:
    Jesus that looks gory! :shock: My scrotum has shrivelled to the size of a walnut!

Speedy / complete recovery!

has he posted a picture? I can't see it.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    fatdaz wrote:

Sorry - when I said "very impressive" I meant "Average"
  • johnfinch wrote:
    Thanks for the good wishes, and I'd best point out that the lump is my right leg, to which my left leg is still just about attached.

I didn't even get tackled, I just stretched to get the ball, my foot went over it and my hit the ground hard on the other side. Apparently the "snap" could be heard on the other side of the pitch.

The worst thing about this is the timing. My wife is due to give birth any day now and I can't do a thing to help out and I've only just started a new job. I was meant to be training for it over the next couple of months but that's out of the window now. :roll: Luckily my Mum's come to live with us for a while, so she's giving us a load of help and I have very good employers who will do what they can to help when I get back into work.

I'm just trying to think of some sort of intellectual challenge to keep me sane over the next couple of months.

Keep posting on BB, thats a challenge. Mend well. :wink:
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    johnfinch wrote:

Then WTF are you doing on Bike Radar ?!? :D

I'll get my coat...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    I'd hate to get involved in one of your games of football that was 'unfriendly'.
  • keef66
    "I'm just trying to think of some sort of intellectual challenge to keep me sane over the next couple of months."

Can't help with the intellectual bit, but you could try playing Kerplunk by pulling those rods out of your leg...
  • finchy
    252588_446854532025179_1255162789_n.jpg

404740_446855595358406_1612414807_n.jpg
  • keef66
    Aargh! Scrotum shrivelling again!
  • Hey HEY HEY Some of us are having lunch!
  • That injury is gonna play havoc with your tan lines. :)
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • I nearly did the exact same thing a couple of years back but I was lucky and only damaged my right ankle ligaments. I've only been able to run on it without pain in the past few weeks.
    36FC84EF-73B3-4EE2-831F-303E0410E3D9-9857-000007561D5321FB_zpsa3d3eefb.jpg
    4CB46652-5CA1-4E4B-A688-7BA4383F2822-9857-0000075631E56D79_zps895609e1.jpg

I hope you heal up quickly and don't go to crazy with boredom :?
  • finchy
    Nasty. Glad you're better now. Did you need an operation?
  • johnfinch wrote:
    Nasty. Glad you're better now. Did you need an operation?
    No luckily it was just a case of resting it and waiting really. The worst part of it was needing a piss in the morning, when you'd put your feet on the floor to get up and the blood rushing down would make it throb so much it was like I'd rolled it again.
    At the time I said I'd never play football again, which is partly true but I do still play 5 a side most weeks as I started to miss having a kick about
  • keef66
    "The worst part of it was needing a wee-wee in the morning, when you'd put your feet on the floor to get up and the blood rushing down would make it throb so much"

we're still talking about your ankle aren't we??
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Two pages in and no-one has offered the standard Bike Radar advice so here it is - just MTFU and get out on your bike. Oh, and the standard BB comment - where's the photos of the nurses norks? ;)

Hope it fixes quickly for you.
  • pinno
    Pross wrote:
    Two pages in and no-one has offered the standard Bike Radar advice so here it is - just MTFU and get out on your bike. Oh, and the standard BB comment - where's the photos of the nurses norks? ;)

Hope it fixes quickly for you.

Yep, typical. Just like the decals thread - no pics of what we actually want to see. So selfish.

C'mon, time to fit a head cam. Ask the nurses to play Blow Football with you. Maybe we could send you a subuteo set and you can video link it in for us.
  • finchy
    Pross wrote:
    Two pages in and no-one has offered the standard Bike Radar advice so here it is - just MTFU and get out on your bike.

Anyone tells me to MTFU and I post more photos. :wink:

My blisters are looking particularly disgusting at the moment, and now I'm at home I can use my proper camera to take some good close-ups.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    JF, GWS, nasty nasty footballers, poke em in the eye with a needle. Complete with camel...

DM1985 WTF is that heading towards your right ankle? The tentacle of death? And for the love of god, if you going to post pics of your grundies, (complete with cooling system) ask me for mine. Much more attractive.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk