Road / CX bike fit in the back of a van leaving wheels on?

neil²
neil² Posts: 337
edited September 2012 in The cake stop
Greetings, it's been ages since I posted here. Can you help me with van fittage?

Tell me, if I buy a LWB 6 seater VW T5 Kombi or a LWB 6 seater Vito Dualiner, will I be able to fit my CX / road bike(s) in without taking off the front wheels? According to the dimensions I've seen it all looks tight... but possible... maybe :lol:

Do you have any photos / links to photos of the interior with a full bike in?

If not, it looks like I'm destined for a Renault Trafic, which is far less of a chick-magnet. :mrgreen:

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mine fits in the back of a scenic laid on its side with just the seats bent forward. Have had two bikes in the back with all wheels attached with no seats so I think it should.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    I had a VW Caddy van size 64cm bike stood up no problem and plenty of room....then i discovered putting the bike on the turbo trainer stops it falling over in the van :D . PS like the Avatar pic...I stay about a mile from the factory were their made :P
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wouldnt the bike be a bit more stable with the front wheel off ? Its only a second or twos work to put the wheel on or off ? You can get mounts for the forks too.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I can get my cross bike in the back of a mondeo without taking the wheels of or putting the seats down. But yeah take the front wheel off, it takes all of 10 seconds.
  • renault scenic- outboard seats out ,middle folded, 2 bikes with front wheel off, third bike with both wheels off down the middle ( you can only carry 2 people). The bikes are clamped to 8mm. stud which is fixed with small homemade brackets screwed to a piece of 2"x1" timber. plastic washers are used between the forks & 8mm. wingnuts, thin binding of tape around the stud prevents any damage to forks etc.The 2 outboard bikes are secured at saddle end with luggage elastic bands around the seat post with the hooks secured to the h/rest rods of the front seats.Total cost about a fiver.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Nissan Almera (think Ford Focus and shrink it a bit), fold down wider of two seats, bike goes in back wheel first at an angle. Rotate bars through 90 degrees, close the boot. And there's still a seat free in the back and two in the front.
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    Cheers,

The reason for keeping the wheels on is that I need to carry 8 bikes and 6 people and strapping the side is more compact. Also it does take time locating and putting wheels on when you're arriving at a coaching session after the chaos of getting six people out of the house!

Currently we can get everyone with kit in and on the Galaxy but it's a bit tight!

Cheers!