Tablet help

bontie
bontie Posts: 177
edited September 2012 in The cake stop
I am in the market for a tablet.
At the moment I am considering the Nexus 7, but in my search have also stumbled onto the Samsung Galaxy Note 7”
They are the same size (which puts me off the current Ipad), very similarly priced, but the Samsung is the “established” player, with a back and front camera (and better cameras I think).

Would I be better off going with the Samsung, or anyone with a good review that I can refer to?

TIA

PS - The Ipad(mini) would possibly kill'em all?

Comments

• bontie
    Sorry not Galaxy note - Galaxy Tab2 (7.0") like this :
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-ga ... 3-pdt.html
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sorry, I thought it was pills you were after. I'll be off then....
  • On One 456
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • Summary...

The Samsung is probably the better built and has a built in microSD slot to expand the storage.

The Nexus has the faster processor and graphics chipset and higher resolution screen. Performance wise the Nexus currently is right up there with the best of the tablets of any size, make or model, regardless of price.

As for the iPad mini or iPad 4, firstly it doesn't exist, but judging by the iPhone 5 performance, it should be very similar performance, but have better battery life to the Nexus, but you are likely to obviously pay a premium (and have a wait on you hands for something that might never emerge!)
    Simon
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I think it's inevitable that Apple will produce a tablet in this form factor eventually, and the rumours strongly suggest it'll come out in October, but obviously until it's announced nobody knows for sure.

The Kindle Fire HD would be another one to add to your list. Twice the storage for the same price as the Nexus 7, but running Amazon's heavily customised version of Android.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I quite like the size of the iPad myself - I travel a lot and have to count what I carry, but I just don't see it's present size as an issue, and for watching movies on long flights (which I do a lot) I'd much prefer the screen it has now to anything smaller.
  • keef66 wrote:

got any mitzi's?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    I quite like the size of the iPad myself - I travel a lot and have to count what I carry, but I just don't see it's present size as an issue, and for watching movies on long flights (which I do a lot) I'd much prefer the screen it has now to anything smaller.

This. (sent from a hotel, sat with my iPad, in between episodes of Homeland which look great on a screen this size).
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

This. (sent from a hotel, sat with my iPad, in between episodes of Homeland which look great on a screen this size).
    I hear you!
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I recently bought a BlackBerry Playbook, 64gb version, for £129 from PC World. Very happy with it. Great screen and camera, all the other stuff you need, email, documents etc. Not quite as good as my iPad 3, but a more convenient size for carrying about in my rucksack. I use my phone as a wifi hotshot so I can browse on the go. Worth a look.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac ... 731/review
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    keef66 wrote:

got any mitzi's?

What's a mitzi? If it's mirtazapine then yes I have, but I wouldn't recommend them as a recreational item. Had me collapsing and vomiting before I became accustomed to them :shock:
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I'm looking at getting a tablet too. Had a play with them in PC World yesterday.

It's a Nexus 7 vs iPad 3 decision for me. I'll be mainly using in the home for general surfing. I think the larger screen iPad will be better for this but I'm not I'm not sure it can justify the extra cash. Going to be a tough decision.
  • bontie
    Hugo - thats exactly where I am.