which tubular tyres

kamil1891
kamil1891 Posts: 658
edited September 2012 in Track
I'm in process of ordering deep carbon tubulars from China and would like to know what tubulars do you guys use? Which would be the fastest for Manchester Track, so only indoor use, training and racing. However, not the most expensive ones. I'm aiming at 100 quid max for two.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Vittoria EVO Pista CS - you're going to need to break your budget and also, they are far too good for training. And make sure you get either proper valve extenders or the longer red valve stems for them to go with the deep section rims.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Thanks for your recommendation. Really appreciated. Vittorias seem to get best reviews but they are a bit on the expensive side.
    But I would go for them, if I haven't found Challenge Pista 320 Track Tubulars for almost half price, so both tyres cost me less than £90 whereas their normal price at most websites is £70 each. So, I think I've made a good deal and the Challenge tyres are also well respected, I think :)

What do you use do glue the tyre? Glue or cement? I've been recommended by the sqt coach to use cement everytime to avoid unpleasant suprises.

And one more question, how long would tyres like this last (this will be my first set of tubulars) ? I usually ride about 2-4 hours a week on the track.
  • Eddy S
    Glue? Cement? There are all contact adhesives. I prefer using Vittoria Mastic One because I find it much easier/nicer to work with. And yes, I use it on carbon wheels. The Conti Tub Cement is horrible to use - just my opinion - and no real need to get the carbon specific stuff.

The key thing is that you follow a good gluing technique - that's what avoids the unpleasant surprises. Take a look at the tub gluing procedure on the Park Tool website - it's what I've been following for years.

Re lifespan of the tubs - it depends but you should get at least a couple of seasons out if them, punctures notwithstanding (I don't repair tubs, only replace them).
  • Right, I've been watching tutorials over last few days so I think I will be fine with that :) Thanks for your time and advice again.
  • Eddy S
    kamil1891 wrote:
    Right, I've been watching tutorials over last few days so I think I will be fine with that :) Thanks for your time and advice again.

Glad to be of help! 8)

Depending on which tutorials you've been watching, just a couple of tips...

Make sure you stretch the tub properly - some advise just putting it on the rim without glue and inflating over night - that doesn't work, You'll need to use the the Park Tool 'under the foot' method. Don't be scared to use a bit of brute force but also don't pull to the point where you hear stitching pinging!

Don't be scared of roughing up the carbon surface for gluing. And make sure it's done right to the edges.

Don't be scared of using acetone to clean the rims properly to get rid of the dust and prep for gluing. A bit of acetone on a cloth is not going to damage or melt you rim despite the nonsense some people spread!. I have 8 carbon track wheels/discs that I've used this method on and none of them have 'melted' so far! :D
  • Zipp's, Continental's and Park Tools tutorial too. All more or less the same, but now I'm prepared for everything :D Just need the wheels to arrive.

Thanks again!