Rose Mr Big geometry

Siim_S
Siim_S Posts: 37
edited September 2012 in MTB general
Hi!
I'm interested in Rose Mr. Big (http://www.roseversand.com/article/rose ... aid:553457), but their geometry sheet is missing some information and so far I've got no reply from their customer service.

Most important question: what's the standover of S sized frame? If anybody has this bike in S or M, I'd be super thankful if you could measure the standover - I think they usually do this from ground to the top of the top tube approximately 5-10 cm front of the BB center.
Also missing is chainstay length - this should be the same for all sizes, but can't find this either :(

Any owners out there? Help really appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    geo sheet is there.

frame size M S XL L
    recommended inseam (in cm) 81-88 74-80 98-103 89-97
    body height (cm) approx. bis 183 bis 173 bis 205 bis 194
    M S XL L
    A - actual seat tube length 480 449 530 511
    B - top tube length 590 570 635 615
    C - head tube length 136 125 146 139
    D - steering angle 70° 70° 70° 70°
    E - seating angle 73,5° 73,5° 73,5° 73,5°
    F - wheel base 1085 1064 1130 1110
    G - crankset height 307 307 307 307
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yes, I've seen this too many times already. But if you read my questions, you can see that there is no standover or chainstay length on the geo sheet.
  • Why does it matter so much?
  • Because the rider will be quite short and too high standover might cause some problems.
  • When I got my first mountain bike in the early 90's standover height seemed to be considered an important measurement. I think it's common knowledge now that it doesn't really matter a jot.

How often do you actually stand over the frame with your feet flat on the ground?

Anyway - you have BB height and seat tube length so you should be bale to work out a rough measurement. All you can do with online stores is go with the recommended rider height/inseam measurements that they quote
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Am I the only one seeing the bit where it says "recommended inseam"??
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Am I the only one seeing the bit where it says "recommended inseam"??

No. But some people do seen transfixed with standover height. If there were no pedals or cranks and you had to scoot yourself along the floor with your feet a la balance-bike then I could see it to be an important measurement..but you don't :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • i doesnt matter so much now as if you land on it you have 5"+ of suspension to take the pain away...
    it mattered more on a ridged bike as there was no give but even at that you (I) never fall off and land straddling the top tube
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • Ok, standover is not so important as I see and I guess I have to agree with this. But what about chainstay length? I've heard that it actually affects how the bike rides? Something like short CS = more agility and long CS = more stable ride.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But it's all relative to the other dimensions, and not something you can compare directly between different frames.
    Like how long is a piece of string.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I'd rather have some standover than none, but only so my nuts don't go into my abdomen when i fall of onto the top tube.
  • cooldad wrote:
    But it's all relative to the other dimensions, and not something you can compare directly between different frames.
    Like how long is a piece of string.
    You are correct, sir! I have the other dimensions already and also all dimensions of other bikes I'm considering. Rose's CS is the missing one that could help me to compare the bikes. That's why I made the topic. Meanwhile Rose guys replied to me, but could not tell the CS length :(

Siim
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I know it might not help much, but the Mr Ride has 449mm chainstays. Reviews have said it rides like a 'first-generation' 29er, which isn't really a good thing.

But... comparing all other geometry between the Mr Big and Mr Ride shows that the only difference is the wheelbase. Mr Big is 15mm shorter overall, but all the front end measurements are the same, so I'd take a guess that the CS's are about 435mm.