suntour xcm v3 mlo crown race help

njl1992
njl1992 Posts: 16
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hey i got a 2012 carrera vengeance from halfords this year and now wanting to replace the forks to a lock out version

the ones on there now are sun tour xcm v3 but not lockout.. im replacing with a new set of suntour xcm v3 BUT with lockout!

the thing is, the new forks dont come with the crown race and im really not sure what to do, i have taken the old one of the other suntours. but it is a bit dirty and would really like a new one, any help would be ace :D

cheers, nick

Comments

• heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    A crown race is a crown race. Doesn't matter if it's new or dirty, you can't see it. If it's damaged then that's different.

If you're determined to replace it you need to find out what headset it is then get in touch with a bike shop to see if you can get 'just a crown race'.
    If I'm honest though, I have a funny feeling that it's too much of a cheap OEM part that you'll be able to get a new race. Chances are if you want a new race you'll be buying a new headset.
  • Hey!

Thank you for the speedy reply! That's amazing!

I have just got my self a new headset which is a Aest Semi Intergrated Threadless Internal Bike Headset 1 1/8

I did have a headset which came with the bike but I didn't like it at all, so I'm replacing the full lot, headset, forks, bars as a little experience for my self to :)

Would it be best for me to contact the company I got the headset from and ask them about the crown race?

Cheers

Nick!
  • Just to add, the semi intergrated headset is the right one for my frame, I checked this at halfords and online :)

Cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll have a new crow race with the new headset, so what's the problem?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • You'll have a new crow race with the new headset, so what's the problem?

Hey TB

This is the description of the headset

Aest Semi Intergrated Threadless Internal Bike Headset 1 1/8 inch

Suitable for Headset Steerers 1 1/8"

Material: 6061AL-T6 CNC machined alloy Cups / Alloy Top Cap

Bearings: 2 Sealed Angular Cartridge Bearings

Diameter: Ø28.6 x 44 x 30mm

Size: 1 1/8 inch

Stack height: 7.5mm + 2 = 9.5mm

Includes Headset cap, star nut and bolt

Weight: 97g

Colours: Red, Blue, Black, Gold

It doesn't say anything about the crown race on there.
    I hav contacted the seller just now to ask regarding that. But even on the photo it shows no crown race

Cheers
    Nick
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It must come with a crown race, as it will not work otherwise.

The new forks may be worse than the old ones though... which version of the XCM exactly?
  • Thanks super, in waiting on the reply now from the eBay member.

The forks are v3 lockouts, my old ones where v3s also but minus the lockout.

I was looking at a set of fox and rock shox forks as I hear they are really good, but I'm not certain I will get the benefit out of them.

Also as the bike is my first project type bike, I'm really just getting my head around the whole installation and maintenance of bike parts! I am now happy with BB, crank sets, brakes, gears and deraillers but forks are not my strong point so I'm also learning as I'm going with this :)
  • supersonic
    V3 yes... but is it the mechanical lockout or hydraulic? The former is awful.

If you can afford the Rockshox Recon Silver fork for £115 it it'll outperform the suntour by far.
  • They are mechanical super. I do like the v3s as they are firm to my ride type

New headset http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 0984848861

New forks http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 0841444526
  • supersonic
    They have no damping, the mechanical lockout rattles like mad, and you risk damaging the fork as there is no blow off. if you have not bought it yet I would seriously think again, they are really poor forks.
  • got my forks yesterday and i am impressed sonic with the travel,

headset also came today but im getting a bit mixed up which bearing goes on the top or bottom of the frame, i have already put the crown race on my fork tube, so now im left with this BLACK RING which im unsure which way round to put on the tube? Also, the 2 bearings in RED, one is tapered and one isn't as you can see on the picture, could someone be kind enough to tell me which one goes on the top or bottom of the frame?

Picture > http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... nt_count=1

Thanks in advance as always :)

Nick
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what black ring?
    text up. the one on the right is the top one.
    644134_280015278779501_275493198_n.jpg

looks like a crown race there. or it is the top centering ring collar.

again see parktools

headtype30.jpg

and pics of the crown race in the fork please.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks Nick

if you look at the top of both pressed frame races, you can see one is flat, and one has a small taper(right one) can you see?

also, this is the crown race which came with the set which i put on my forks, the black ring doesn't have a tight fit like the silver one here > http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... nt_count=1

this is what the BLACK ring looks like when i put it on the tube - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... nt_count=1

thanks!
  • nicklouse
    that is not the crown race it fits in the top.

the black one is the crown race.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • im so silly! im not to sure how im going to get this of, maybe if i just bend the silver centering ring from its gap, it should hopefully close up nicely again

thank you for that Nick! really helpful
  • nicklouse
    just lift it with a small screwdriver no need to bend anything.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    just lift it with a small screwdriver no need to bend anything.

thank you Nick!

will give it a try now and upload the photo of the real crown race on ;)

thanks!
  • there we go Nick :Dhttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... t=1&ref=nf

just waiting on my crown race tool to get it pressed down more

So, now im guessing the centering sleeve goes tapered side down into the pressed frame races :) ?
  • nicklouse
    err it is a split race crown race.

No tool needed.

READ PARKTOOL so you have some understanding on what is going on.

Great FB page. I hope none of your "Customers" read this.
  • The Rookie
    Buy cheap, buy twice!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thanks for all the help

fb page is dedicated to everything but forks in which my mate will be doing the service for, i wanted to get an understanding on how to do it my self..

thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just checked the Facebook page - it's a joke right? Seriously.

If not you should be reported to Trade Descriptions.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • i asked for help on a headset...

not a dragons den speech from you all
  • cooldad
    njl1992 wrote:
    i asked for help on a headset...

not a dragons den speech from you all
    Hardly Dragons Den
    You say this:
    I provide full installation, servicing and cleaning to Mountain Bikes in regards to major parts such as cranksets, bottom brackets, chain guides, forks, gear and brake set up, cables, pedals, cassettes and much more in which i have a very high professional working standard and many years of experience in.
    But don't know what crown race is.

I would suggest that the words 'professional' and 'experience' don't mean what you seem to think they mean.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • look up.... first post... i said im confident and have experience with everything apart from forks..
  • cooldad
    It's not forks, it's a headset. Servicing forks is something else entirely.

But as the Dragons would say, I'm Out.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • i meant it as in the whole remit of the fork area ..

why you hating ?
  • The Rookie
    Because, frankly, you are a fraud and a charlatan, you couldn't even change a headset without asking multiple questions and understanding it so badly you had to post photo's yet claim to be Professional and have many years experience (noting you don't actually say what in!).

I wouldn't describe myself as the above but have built 7 bikes from scratch and done lots of litle maintenance bits for mates, I have also serviced forks and stripped and rebuilt some Manitou converting from air to coil.

Can you bleed brakes? What brands? Do you have a bleed kit(s)? Do you have the tools for Cranksets (internal and common external), casette removal?

Sanity check, it took 4 MONTHS to build a bike? Noting it still needs a chain.

Servicing a headset is as basic as it gets really.

Heck you even like XCM's!

Worryingly I agree with Cooldad.
  • cooldad
    That is worrying. Even I don't normally agree with me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    If we're not careful we'll have the YHMcG agreeing with us as well, which is beyond worry.....