Going to Bruges: travel & hotel tips?

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
edited September 2012 in The cake stop
I need some advice on getting good deals for Eurostar and hotels for a long 4 day weekend break.

Also, any general tips on the city welcome

Thanks

Comments

• The hotel Coerdoenier just off the Markt is cheap and pretty good. Rooms are basic, but the bar and dining room on the ground floor are lovely.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I took my wife and young daughter in April and found hotels to be good value for money, although restaurants were reasonably pricey. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza on Burg - nice hotel, good breakfast to set you up for a day of traipsing around. Whatever you do, don't go to the Tom Pouce restaurant in Burg, it's a shocker with rude staff. Restaurant reccomendation: De Gouden Kroes http://www.degoudenkroes.be/. There's lots to see everywhere. Watches In Bruges if you haven't already!
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • If any overweight people ask you if you've been up the tower,just say no.

http://youtu.be/mgbSpmZyN7I
  • If you go around Christmas, it's like a f***ing fairy tale
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thank you all! good tips.
  • Taking your c**t kids?

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Hotel Leopold FTW.

Really lovely.

Brugge is quite a small place, so don't be afraid to do it all in great depth.

Oh and it's like a f*cking fairytale obviously.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Hope you have a good holiday!

in-bruges-20080117041635217_640w-thumb-500x299-33641.jpg
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    go to the halfmoon brewery museum. excellent.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    If you go around Christmas, it's like a f***ing fairy tale

No, it's a shithole
  • APIII, you've clearly never been to the alcoves in the Astridpark.

1315550015703489.gif
  • avoid 8 November, Toon Army in toon
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Wander aimlessly and slowly, it is very compact.
    Look around you 360 degrees and up and down.
    Everywhere you look is worthy of a photo.

Well, it would be if it wasn't a shithole.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • It's absolutely beautiful this place. I stopped there on a road trip earlier this year. It is quite expensive, we paid 15 euros for 2 beers (Leffe, such a nice beer!!). Have a good walk around all the side streets, across the lovely bridges (yes I said it :D ), get to the top of tower in the main square too. We missed this and do regret it. It is quite high and has great views by all accounts.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Bruge rocks!!

We stayed at the Hotel Navarra last year, really nice hotel but not that cheap £100 a night ish.

Yes Bruge may look pretty but the best thing is the beer, mmmm, oh and chocolate!

Get yourself to the chocolate line chocolate shop, the little Bruge bear pub and avoid touristy restaurants like the plague, very expensive and average food.

If you do nothing else make sure you fill your boot with as much beer as you can fit in. When it runs out you'll be gutted!
  • I stayed in this one earlier this year. Cheap, quite nice and very central

http://www.hoteldemedici.com/
  • El Zomba wrote:
    APIII, you've clearly never been to the alcoves in the Astridpark.

You know zis word, "Alcoves"?

Frankly, it's like a f*cking fairytale. Just watch out for the dwarves on horse tranquillizers.....
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • i loved it cant wait to go back f*cking loved it
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    I'm so going to watch 'In Bruges' again tonight when I come home .. F*CKING BRUGES!
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • SPOC
    SPOC Posts: 109
    They drink gay beers.

But it's a f**king fairytale, so that's a small price to pay.
  • If I grew up on a farm and was retarded Bruges might impress me, but I didn't so it doesn't.

@gietvangent
  • We stayed at the hotel goezeput....very central, easy to get to from the coach park (where P&O bussed us into and dropped us off)...cheap so saves money for beer, chips & mayonaise, chocolates and waffles.

http://www.hotelgoezeput.be/index.asp?taal=uk

Ask for room 15 - up in the loft with lovely views