problem with New Wheels

hainman
hainman Posts: 699
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
are all wheels the same size from 1 end of hub to the other,my mate got some new wheels from lbs but they were 20mm maxle so they shop ordered him the kit to convert to 9mm qr,problems arrise straight away as he struggled to get wheels on and thought they were to wide,he was back and forth 6times with them doing 1 thing or another,even resorted to filing the caliper but still not fitting,the wheels will hardly rotate,
have they put something on the wrong way or the wrong convert kit???he paid 350quid for wheels that he cant use and now hes at trading standards to get his money back and they are making things difficult,is he due refund due to "goods not fit for purpose"

thanks for any input

craig
Giant Reign 2
Crohnie

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 no.
    what is the hub?
    does the person who fitted the kit know what they were doing?
    how far out is it?
    has he adjusted the caliper?
    will it fit with the caliper removed?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hainman
    the guy who fitted them works in a bike shop thats been on the go for 30 years but then again could be a diddy,
    its a set of quad wheels.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... lset-32281
    think these are the wheels in question nick...
    dont think he tried with the caliper off but every time he got the bike back from shop after "adjustment" the wheel would be very tight to go onto the forks and he said riding it was as if someone was pulling him back....
    as i know with my wheels,they slip on without a fight,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    and don't be filing down the drop out....
  • nicklouse
    hainman wrote:
    would be very tight to go onto the forks and he said riding it was as if someone was pulling him back....
    sounds like it is fitting the fork fine but no one has looked at the brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • hainman
    not him thats filed anything,its the shop and they say"sometimes you need to do that"id do my dinger if they started filing away anything on my bike that was 5months old and cost a grand.....
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • hainman
    its a boardman ht but not sure if that would make any difference,i know the rear disk mount is inside the frame but would think the forks are normal.....
    how would the brakes be the problem nick??
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • nicklouse
    hainman wrote:
    new wheels.
  • hainman
    could you explain a wee bit nick,i would have thought that the wheels would be kinda similar to the old ones....i put new brakes on a bike and went on without no problems
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    nicklouse wrote:
    hainman wrote:
    new wheels.

Each wheel adheres to a rough standard, but the actual disc alignment will vary. You'll need to reset the brake caliper to match the new wheel. If its tough getting them in the forks, check the bearings are fully pushed in. Do the end caps sit nice and flush with the body of the hub or is there a 'step'?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • hainman
    ben that makes more sense regards the bearings or something not being inserted properly as if the wheels were tight going on i thought they had maybe put the wrong conversion kit on or put something on back to front.the brakes i would have thought would be minimal adjustment,like a couple of washers to maybe take the caliper away from the rotor or move a mil or 2 left or right but by the sounds of the problem he said it needs to move quite a bit,so if something was on wrong making the rotor move out to far and rub against the caliper would that make sense......
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • nicklouse
    i refer you back to my first comments.''how far is it to wide"?

many forks need a slight spring to get the hub in.

has the OLD been measured?
    has the fork been fitted to the hub?

from reading your comments yes it has been fitted so it can not be far out. that leaves the brake.

how is it with the calliper removed? again.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    hainman wrote:
    ben that makes more sense regards the bearings or something not being inserted properly as if the wheels were tight going on i thought they had maybe put the wrong conversion kit on or put something on back to front.the brakes i would have thought would be minimal adjustment,like a couple of washers to maybe take the caliper away from the rotor or move a mil or 2 left or right but by the sounds of the problem he said it needs to move quite a bit,so if something was on wrong making the rotor move out to far and rub against the caliper would that make sense......
    If the bakes are well out, try switching the end caps. They can be different widths, of only a tiny bit.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.