Reverb cable routing on a canyon nerve am

simowill
simowill Posts: 56
edited September 2012 in MTB general
Morning all,

As above just wondering how people are routing their cable as mine seems to
Hit and rub on the rear suspension rocker when the seats on the way down.

Cheers
Simon
Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
Kona Firemountain HT

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I am thinking of getting an adjustable post for my nerve and the only thing putting me off is cable routing. I was wondering if I could somehow route the cable through the frame but the only way I can think of is by doing without the front shifter and I am not fit enough for that.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    buy some stick on cable guides, or tie wrap it
  • simowill
    buy some stick on cable guides, or tie wrap it

Ive got it all routed and fixed using the guide holues under the top tube, its just catches on the suspension rocker when the post is dropper.

Simon
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Kona Firemountain HT
  • simowill
    stubs wrote:
    I am thinking of getting an adjustable post for my nerve and the only thing putting me off is cable routing. I was wondering if I could somehow route the cable through the frame but the only way I can think of is by doing without the front shifter and I am not fit enough for that.

That would be quite a bend from the seat tube back up the down tube wouldn't it?

Simon
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Kona Firemountain HT
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    simowill wrote:
    stubs wrote:

That would be quite a bend from the seat tube back up the down tube wouldn't it?

Simon

The Canyon routes the cables through the down tube and they come out of the downtube in front of the bottom bracket. I have just tried experimenting by poking a cable outer down and round the BB but it would need a Reverb post with the hose coming out of the bottom of the post and mean drilling a hole in the BB shell. Dont think its going to work without some radical frame surgery. Which isnt going to happen with my frame though I would happily try on someone elses :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • goodeg
    goodeg Posts: 4
    I've used the bosses on the left of the top tube with a couple of Fox forks hose guides to hold the hose in. It's not a perfect fit but works fine. I've not noticed it hitting the rocker.

http://www.mojostore.co.uk/acatalog/Hose_Guides.html
  • simowill
    goodeg wrote:
    I've used the bosses on the left of the top tube with a couple of Fox forks hose guides to hold the hose in. It's not a perfect fit but works fine. I've not noticed it hitting the rocker.

http://www.mojostore.co.uk/acatalog/Hose_Guides.html

I also used the bosses with some clips that Cullen at Canyon uk kindly sent.
    But the cable drops straight down, I've then got it going through the supplied reverb cable guide which sends it straight onto the rocker when the post drops. Are you using this guide? I have mine
    Around the seat post.
    Any chance of a pic around the seat post area.

Cheers

Simon
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Kona Firemountain HT
  • So, my wonderful wife has just approved the purchase of a reverb for my birthday (not sure she knows quite how much it costs, or that it comes with a bash ring and blackspire stinger though :D )

This thread didn't seem to reach a conclusion so I'm wondering if anyone came up with a good solution for the hose routing?
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Shackster wrote:
    So, my wonderful wife has just approved the purchase of a reverb for my birthday (not sure she knows quite how much it costs, or that it comes with a bash ring and blackspire stinger though :D )

This thread didn't seem to reach a conclusion so I'm wondering if anyone came up with a good solution for the hose routing?

Mines is just routed the normal way apart from on the bars where I have the lever placed under the bars on the left hand side... It looks much neater like that.

Did you get the ISCG 05 version of the stinger? if so you know it wont fit unless you get a bracket from Canyon
  • Cheers.

Haven't bought it yet, was going to get the BB mount model.
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Not got it on a canyon, but had similar issues myself, it's just a matter of moving the position of the reverb guide, with trial and error, and getting the hose length right.

Set it up without attaching the actuator to the handlebars, then you can adjust length of hose whilst moving the post up and downand moving the guide.

I ended up with the guide round to the side, and a little slack when the post is in extended position, as this allowed it to move into a better position as the post compresses
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Just wrap the excess hose around the seatpost, now, as the seatpost is lowered it coils itself up.
  • The routing for the Reverb cable is all there ready for you, its been well though out imo.

Canyon do cable clips that screw in under the top tube.

My AM which came with a Reverb was routed perfectly as thus:

My Reverb remote is mounted top of the handlebar on the left.
    The cable comes from the handlebar to go under the top tube on the right.
    The cable cross’s diagonally under the top tube exciting on the left (in line with the seatpost barb)
    The cable then pass’s through the RockShox supplied cable guide which is attached to the seatube of the bike. Position the RockShox guide in line with the seatpost barb
    The cable then goes directly up to the reverb.

With the post fully extended, remove all cable slack and bolt down the cable under the top tube with Canyons cable guides, all slack is then at the front of the bike out of harms way.

When the seatpost is dropped the cable should bend away from the bike/rocker arm. If not release the clip nearest the seatube, give the cable a little twist so its in the direction you want (away from the bike). Hold it and re-clamp down.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Thanks for the detailed answer. However, my frame (2011 nerve XC) doesn't have any cable mounting holes under the top tube, so I'd have to zip tie it.

I'm also considering the KS Lev post which seems to have got good reviews so far, and it has the big plus that the cable goes into the lower part of the seat post. More expensive though :shock:

My other reason for looking at the KS post is that I transport my bike using a 'bike beam' on the car rack (supports bike between stem and seat post), and the reverb hose entry looked like it would get bashed about by this (apart from any issues about supporting the bike's weight, which I can deal with using straps etc, opinion seems to differ on whether the various posts can handle this, but I'm not going to take any chances). Anyone still awake? :roll:
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • I wouldnt want to support a dropper equipped bike in transit, or anyway for that matter, anywhere near either the droppers remote or where cable meets saddle. As well as rubbing during transit could score the droppers shaft.

Neither part are particularly robust. For example RockShox warn that turning the bike over and having it rest on the handlebars remote could cause it too snap.
    I have first hand experience that it does snap as I adjusted my gears with bike upside down resting on the plunger. *crunch* Luckily I bullshitted RockShox to replace it under warranty.

If your going to continue to use your current rack I would recommend a Reverb Stealth (if you have a way of getting the cable into the frame) or changing your bike rack.

Droppers are relatively solid products but the week points are where cables enter and exit the posts and remotes. You don’t want to rest the weight of a bike on either point. Especially when wobbling about and under G on the back of car going round corners.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • as above, the coil method is a great way to keep the cable out of the way - saw it on a bike in MBUK last month and switched mine to the same set up, and it works a hell of a lot better