Giant Trance X4 - First Ever Bike Build

Drewsiffer999
Drewsiffer999 Posts: 141
edited September 2012 in Your mountain bikes
sam1155.jpg

Evening all.

First time I have ever done this so stick with me!!! :oops:

I have always bought bikes and added extra bits too them, but this is the first time I have actually wanted to buy everything in bits!!

My project started when I bought the frame from a fellow bike radar member.

After a lot of searching, I feel I have the perfect bike for myself. I love the way it looks, rides and feels.

The spec is listed below:-
Giant Trance X4 Frame
140mm Fox Forks
Standard rear shock
Mavic CrossRide Wheelset
Sram X0 Rear Mech
Sram X9 Shifter
Avid Elixer Carbon 185mm brake set
Race Face Evolve XC Chainset
Race Face Ride bar and stem
Scwalbe tyres
Shimano DX pedals

Please feel free to give me your thoughts and please let me know if you have any ideas on how to improve my bike.

Also. I have just moved to Wetherby in Yorkshire, so if anybody could let me know of biking groups / clubs in the area that would be great.

Thanks
Drew

Comments

• bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Nice piece , have you stuck with 9mm qr on front ?
    How much would you say it cost to get it all together ?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nice build. Can't really call it an X4 anymore though, this is much nicer than an X4.
  • BAMBA- I have used the standard quick release on the front, to be honest some of the parts, like the wheels were fitted to my Boardman Pro so as for a price on how much I have no idea!!

ROCKMONKEYSC - Thanks for your comments. Had a look at your bike and saw it has a Fox rear shock fitted. Is that stock or an extra? I heard they can be difficult to find for the Trance frame.
  • bamba
    "as for a price on how much I have no idea!! "

Would have been interesting to see the cost difference the two bikes,

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... t=12794229

Pretty much the same,one a build up from frame and one new,mostly
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's stock, the higher spec models all had fox shocks. I would recomend getting a fox RP23, It doesn't have to be one specifically for the Trance. It just has to be the right length
  • Well I will list it the best I can.

Frame £160 - Bike Radar
    Forks £200 - Pink Bike
    Wheels £90 - Ebay
    Hope QR's £45 - LBS
    Bars and Stem £20 - Bike Radar
    Tyres £30 - Ebay
    Crankset & BB £60 - Bike Radar

Brakes, saddle, mechs, grips - Taken from my Boardman split - Say £150?

I would reckon around the £700 - £800 mark possibly but that really is rough figures as it has all been bought over the last year.

Yours is looking good, are the chain devices useful?
  • bamba
    are the chain devices useful?,

yes id say so, depends what ground you ride on i suppose, regularly over fast rocky stuff esp if there are some drops id find the chain was off about half way down,then lose concentration while trying to get it back on while trying not to crash.
    Not a straight forward fit on a trance frame(or reign for that matter) due to the closeness of the bottom links,a bit of fettling to the bracket to get sufifcant clearance.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Second that. They are a bugger to fit on a Trance X frame. Ditching the big ring & shortening the chain does help but a dual ring chain device would help more. I might try a Superstar one on my Trance, can't go far wrong for £17 even if I do have to modify it to fit.
  • sorry to jump in on your thread but what height are you guys?
    Looking into getting one of these and can't decide between med/large and not near anywhere to try one. I'm 6 ft and current hardtail is 18 inch med. Specs show the Trance to be a bit shorter in top tube lenght but then i'm concerned about standover height if getting a large.....
  • bamba
    I'm 5'11 and find the medium trance perfect, i think the 2010 trance medium is spec'd as a 17in,2011 they changed the top tube from a downward formed to a staight tube,this might effect sizing ,
    RE superstar chain device, there's some pictures in my flickr below
  • I am 6'2 and got a large frame. Fits me reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll good!!!!
  • Went out for a local ride today and got myself and the bike caked!!

Seen as how I love this bike so much and want to keep it in tip top condition, can anyone reccomend whats to best to use to clean and lube?

Im guessing the wife's Fairy Liquid is the not the best on the market!!

Cheers
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    me and a few folk from work are off up to Stainburn on Tuesday night if you're interested? Leaving harrogate at about 6. PM me for more details etc
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Tom,

I dont get home from work until 7.

If you arrange anything over the weekends let me know.

Cheers
  • We have a group of about 8 of us that all ride from Wetherby usually 2 or 3 times a week. If you fancy a ride out drop me a message. We are riding tonight (Tuesday) from about 6:30 then again Thurs and i think we are planning a visit to Gisburn on Saturday.

We normally do a local loop from Wetherby along the Harland Way, then through Spofforth cross country to Sicklinghall, a little loop round the far side of Sicklinghall (including a pint sometimes!), then back to Spofforth and the Harland way. It's nothing massively technical and just more about keeping your legs turning.

There are lots of rides from Wetherby !

You are more than welcome to come and join us
  • Nice ride. I've not seen the new giants but yours is cool as! I also like the race face gear.