Flu Jab

Team4Luke
Team4Luke Posts: 597
edited September 2012 in Health, fitness & training
I received a letter from docs inviting me for a jab, think because I recently hit a certain age :roll: , I'm not having it, what you say/do then :?:
Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young

Comments

• jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    before cycling to work - I used to be always getting colds / flu until I had the flu jab - it really helped me and saved me at least 7 days off sick a year - I am diabetic so getting flu is not the best of things!

So I say if you are prone to flu or are around a lot of people on public transport etc. I would go for it - otherwise no.
  • any side effects from the jab
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Cheers for the reminder I'll ask at the surgery for mine, no I'm not that age either.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • My company has been offering the jab to all staff for the last 5 years.
    I've had it every year and no side effects at all and I've not had a day off work with flu since.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not had one for,err not sure but i guess school. so 20 plus years. never had flu in that time.

Yet.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I don't know whether I have ever actually had "Flu". Normally do well in a year, just minor colds and that is it, no sick off work in last 12months neither.
    Previous two years in each have been off sick with whatever foreign cold flu like bug was going around, one of those I had almost two weeks off sick. Both sicknesses started with severe achin joints and feeling very cold and then a bad heavy cold that takes some shifting. The last one I had started with what I said, then not too bad a cold but a ridiculous none stop chesty cough, just can't stop, you get no sleep and a pounding headache, not like me but I did go Docs with that one, but they give you nowt, just a nasal drop.
    Personally, my view is these are from overseas, ie brought here by the influx of foreign people (legally or otherwise), we here in UK used to get normalish cold and some achin flu like bugs, but seems now what we get is much much more severe.
    Call it Flu, I don't know, but takes something bad to put me off work and bed rest.
    So, really I don't want to catch these again and no doubt they will be around shortly, so I guess my question was whether Flu jab will prevent these whatever they actually are. Difficult as well when you work in an office with hundreds of others who won't go off sick !
  • Flu?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • deveng
    deveng Posts: 132
    Team4Luke wrote:
    I did go Docs with that one, but they give you nowt, just a nasal drop.

Well you can't treat a viral infection so they won't give you any "medicine".

I don't see why you wouldn't want the jab if you're being offered it?
    Wilier Izoard XP 105
    Saracen Zen 1
    SRAM/RaceFace 1x10
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I feel slightly crappy the day after a flu jab but that's about it - millions are given out each year - I am sure there would have been some mention of serious side effects by now if there were any.
  • deveng wrote:
    Team4Luke wrote:
    I did go Docs with that one, but they give you nowt, just a nasal drop.

Well you can't treat a viral infection so they won't give you any "medicine".

I don't see why you wouldn't want the jab if you're being offered it?

just prefer my body to fight it's own battles, but then I don't really fancy getting those flu-like bugs again, really no fun at all.
  • Flu jab changes every year depending on what the experts think could be the most prevalent. So its never 100% that you won't get flu even with the jab.

Since it changes every year the reaction can be different, sometimes its a live vaccine, sometimes its a dead one.
    At worst you should feel a bit crappy for a few days, but if your immune system is OK then you are normally fine.

Proper flu is horrible and well worth doing what you can to avoid it. Only had it once myself, temperature of 104, fever, hallucinations, inability to move for 2 days.

"Flu-like" = bit of a cold, MTFU.
    Twitter: @mattpage24.
    Strava.
  • mattpage wrote:
    Flu jab changes every year depending on what the experts think could be the most prevalent. So its never 100% that you won't get flu even with the jab.

Since it changes every year the reaction can be different, sometimes its a live vaccine, sometimes its a dead one.
    At worst you should feel a bit crappy for a few days, but if your immune system is OK then you are normally fine.

Proper flu is horrible and well worth doing what you can to avoid it. Only had it once myself, temperature of 104, fever, hallucinations, inability to move for 2 days.

"Flu-like" = bit of a cold, MTFU.

+1
    If you've ever had "real flu" you wouldn't turn down the jab.
  • exactly, I don't think I have ever had real flu, few have. So, I don't see the point of having this jab as it won't protect me against whatever these regular bugs actually are that seem to go around now with high regularity of which are far more severe than things we got in the past, I'm old enough to know, and the last two illnesses I have had are beyond anything I have ever had when I was young or a teenager onwards.
  • deveng
    deveng Posts: 132
    Team4Luke wrote:
    exactly, I don't think I have ever had real flu, few have. So, I don't see the point of having this jab as it won't protect me against whatever these regular bugs actually are that seem to go around now with high regularity of which are far more severe than things we got in the past, I'm old enough to know, and the last two illnesses I have had are beyond anything I have ever had when I was young or a teenager onwards.

I really don't understand your point of view, just because a flu jab won't protect against other viral infections, it hardly means it's not worth having! But each to their own.

As others have said above, anyone who has had actual flu would take the jab. Mine is October 25th.
    Wilier Izoard XP 105
    Saracen Zen 1
    SRAM/RaceFace 1x10