Carrera Vulcan 2012

shigllgetcha
shigllgetcha Posts: 145
edited February 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Got my new toy last week

41% off on the C2W scheme was hard to pass up.

Weve bought a house in the forestry so should have plenty of places to use it

DSC05876Copy.jpg
DSC05877Copy.jpg

Comments

• nice!!

My Mrs has one the same but a 16" frame
  • haha mine is a 16". Tried an 18" but couldnt stand over the bar so I went a size down
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    haha mine is a 16". Tried an 18" but couldnt stand over the bar so I went a size down
    Not the best reason for choosing a frame size, but as long as it fits!

I'm 5'10" and ride a 16" older generation Karken (see lnk in sig) which had the same frame as the previous generation Vulcan.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'm 5'10" and ride a 16" older generation Karken (see lnk in sig) which had the same frame as the previous generation Vulcan.

Its hard as a newbie to find what size fits, people say go with what feels right but how am I to know lol

I know what you are saying though but I think if I tried a million I wouldnt have known what fitted me best, Im sure if I ever get another bike Ill have a better idea what I need. Im 5'7" and the 18 wasnt an option I wouldnt be happy without any clearence. So I treid the 16 and it felt better - I didnt mean i didnt try the 16

It seems okay though I did 10 miles on tuesday after work and didnt get anyother pains that my usual war wounds that play up the whole time

The bike seems good though, happy with it so far
  • The Rookie
    The Vulcan got a good review on here (well in MBUK) and won a grouptest, so good choice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hoping to keep it standard but those are the famous last words haha
  • Did the same 10 miles today, still hard going but easier than the last time, didnt have to stop nearly as often this time and walked the bike alot less. I paused my gps by accident half way through so im not sure if I was much quicker

Bike seems really good, did a tiny amount of off road today which was fun. Think ill clear alittle path when I move out there

2012-09-22103252_zps73ff9d84.jpg
    2012-09-22103826_zps9f6b3dbe.jpg
  • Moved to our new house, they fire trail starts about 20 meters from our entrance:D

changed my tires to racing ralphs, 500g lighter per tire, I was thinking the heavy tires were holding me back on the hills

on one sent me one opc and one evo compound, put them on before I found out there was a big difference, not that bothered though

DSC05954_zps5ffc3404.jpg

Havent been out in ages, dont fancy this cycling in the dark thing. hopefully get out this weekend
  • So I didnt get out much in 2013,I intend to change that for 2014

I decided id upgrade my fork so I ordered a suntour epicon. It should be better than the XCM and saves around 1KG

100mm
    2WgzYVS.jpg
    120mm
    6LxfuS3.jpg
    surgery in progess
    pYcq0tE.jpg
    old
    CsXqWu3.jpg
    new
    QBf1Kob.jpg

I had to take the spring apart and move it from 100mm to 120mm, its pretty tough to get the pin out but it worked in the end

I just need a star nut now.

My front brake hasnt been very strong so I ordered new pads, if that doesnt sort it I think ill just bin them and get some shimano m596s.

There are two trail centres just over an hour from me so I hope to get to one atleast in February and then in March I have to go to Belfast with the other half and ill sneak off to one of the bigger centres up there for an hour or two. I also found a decent section of forestry road that I could pop into on the way home from work
  • The Rookie
    Nice choice, that's a pretty good weight, didn't know they were so light!

Have you posted in the Carrera ht thread? (Link in sig).
  • yeh its great for £135.

Yeh ill post when I have it on the bike
  • My new fork is on, way better than the xcm, now i know what a fork should be like :roll: :lol:

srpuT74.jpg
    tyEBRAp.jpg
    Got a £5 voucher with a £2 star nut
    Ol3cKaX.jpg

Just ordered shimano m615s early birthday present from the GF :lol: the skeletals are rubbish and I fecked with them too much and theyll need bleeding, so Im just gonna replace them rather than waste money on the kit
  • My new brakes are on, M615s. Alot stronger than the clarks and seem to be less on/off

7WIEyIu.jpg
    2L1C8yc.jpg
    EULLtk0.jpg
    JU5XjB3.jpg

I was hoping to get out today but the weather is really crappy and I feel like ive the cold, couch for me