TdF start in Yorkshire!

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited December 2012 in Pro race

Comments

• Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Get them up Rosedale Chimney, that'll scare the life out of the continental riders.
  • Yorkman wrote:
    Get them up Rosedale Chimney, that'll scare the life out of the continental riders.

Is that because of the locals they might see up there? "Why is their skin so pale..."
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I remember the Tour of Britain going through Yorkshire a few years back, isn't that the time when the local Police refused to provide coverage and the race had to be neutralised?

Impressive credentials...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    dodgy wrote:
    I remember the Tour of Britain going through Yorkshire a few years back, isn't that the time when the local Police refused to provide coverage and the race had to be neutralised?

I don't really think you can compare the TdF and the ToB, one is a major global sporting event with a TV audience of millions to show the area of to, the other is a chipper watched by die hard cycling fans and a load of schoolkids who are frankly just glad to get out of class for an hour.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    dodgy wrote:

I don't really think you can compare the TdF and the ToB, one is a major global sporting event with a TV audience of millions to show the area of to, the other is a chipper watched by die hard cycling fans and a load of schoolkids who are frankly just glad to get out of class for an hour.

I know, was just being sarcastic. Call it a chipper, it was the biggest race in the UK, but even a 'chipper' race held in France would be treated with more respect.

But yes, obviously that debacle isn't going to be repeated for the TdeF - one would hope anyway.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Which might explain why 'Welcome to Yorkshire' dropped their backing of the MTB XC World Cup round at Dalby.....they want the, I mean Le Tour..
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I wonder if they write into the contract that Russ Downing and Swifty must get rides at t'Tour?
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    Eh UP! tehm bloody cycist are doint'oordee france
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    dodgy wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

I know, was just being sarcastic. Call it a chipper, it was the biggest race in the UK, but even a 'chipper' race held in France would be treated with more respect.

But yes, obviously that debacle isn't going to be repeated for the TdeF - one would hope anyway.

I'm pretty sure, for the purpose of the Tour, the French gendarmarie have jurisdiction on the Tour route > at least, that's what the crowd was told during the 2007 prologue.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I think they are proposing the Yorkshire Dales rather than the Moors, so nothing as "vertical" as Rosedale. Shame - but don't think they would have allowed that on one of the first stages!
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    An economy boosting 2 day/ stage event proposed, looks very promising.
  • Yorkman wrote:

My dad went to watch it one of the years it went up the Chimney. He said Kelly went up it sat down in the big ring :shock:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Yorkman wrote:

My dad went to watch it one of the years it went up the Chimney. He said Kelly went up it sat down in the big ring :shock:

"...whilst punching himself in't face with a lump of coal; which he then ate. None of them poncey cereal bars, with their "nutrients" in them days. And bloody grateful for it he was, too."
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Yorkman wrote:

"...whilst punching himself in't face with a lump of coal; which he then ate. None of them poncey cereal bars, with their "nutrients" in them days. And bloody grateful for it he was, too."

:lol::lol:
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    Yorkman wrote:

Coal? He were lucky t'ave coal.....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Ehhhhhh Up - Hilarious monty python yorkshire sketch :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLoVF7vcBtY
  • Eeee by gum, yer buggers!
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Yorkman wrote:

:lol::lol:

No trust me, they were in bottom gear when they came past me on the steepest part (which in those days was probably 42 - 21 /23) and it looked like it hurt, certainly Roche who was centimetres away from me, but it didn't slow them down much to be fair.

When they held the national hill climb up it, some riders when backward and fell off on the same section. Think Boardman won it that time.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    mroli wrote:
    I think they are proposing the Yorkshire Dales rather than the Moors, so nothing as "vertical" as Rosedale. Shame - but don't think they would have allowed that on one of the first stages!

Yep, that's the problem in getting an early stage (although the Tour has chucked a few lumps in early in recent races). I suppose they have stages in the Ardennes in the first week of the race and the terrain would be pretty similar to the Yorkshire Moors.

A few of the conti riders have been surprised how hilly the ToB was so it would be nice to provide the best riders with a parcours that shows off our best cycling roads.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Yorkman wrote:

:lol: Excellent!
  • I don't think there's much in Yorkshire that would scare a TDF field, other than Rosedale, I remember watching maybe the Leeds classic up White Horse bank, again we stood on the steepest part expecting them to slow a bit , they just flew up it.

Robert Millar did have form in that department admittedly, but proper mountains are a different kettle of fish to the short sharp shocks of Yorkshire/Britain.
  • thefog
    Surprised there isnt more mention of this - bid now fully submitted last week in Paris to ASO. Decision in late november/ december with public announcement scheduled for January.

Two stages in Yorkshire - 1st start in Leeds, finish on east coast [provisional and tbc], second stage commencing in York and finishing in Sheffield.

Another intermediate stage in south east [to get within distances of next stage in France]
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    TheFog wrote:
    Surprised there isnt more mention of this - bid now fully submitted last week in Paris to ASO. Decision in late november/ december with public announcement scheduled for January.

Two stages in Yorkshire - 1st start in Leeds, finish on east coast [provisional and tbc], second stage commencing in York and finishing in Sheffield.

Another intermediate stage in south east [to get within distances of next stage in France]

2016, right?
  • thefog
    skylla wrote:
    TheFog wrote:

2016, right?

• thefog
    Needless to say, delighted!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I don't think there's much in Yorkshire that would scare a TDF field, other than Rosedale, I remember watching maybe the Leeds classic up White Horse bank, again we stood on the steepest part expecting them to slow a bit , they just flew up it.

Robert Millar did have form in that department admittedly, but proper mountains are a different kettle of fish to the short sharp shocks of Yorkshire/Britain.

Rosedale is far from the hardest climb in Yorkshire.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • wahey!!

what a great bit of news.. I shall make the most of it when the time comes

"On Ilkley moor bar 'tat..."

:D
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Bye eck, lets hope tha whippets don't cause any todo's

Champion news.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    At least it will give the council some impetus to sort the terrible Yorkshire roads out.
  • Yorkshire - hmmm - is that the Northern Line or the Picadilly ? ;):wink::wink: