New Bike???

heneghj
heneghj Posts: 29
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
This is my first post so bear with me if I sound a bit rambly.

I have been riding to work now for about 3 months and really enjoying the 16 mile round trip. However, the bike I have borrowed is starting to give in and yesterday my top gear cog on the rear wheel sheered completely off. I am stuck as to what to do as it was my gear of choice for the majority of my ride.

1) Should I replace the speed cassette and just trudge on with the borrowed MTB

2) Should I return the bike and buy a new MTB

3) Should I return the bike and buy a road bike

Oh, Also my commute is all road with a couple of long drawn out hills if that makes any difference

Comments

• DCW
    DCW Posts: 54
    Hi there

I commuted 6 miles each way, pretty much all on road, with a couple of lenghty hills (by my standards anway) on a MTB

I recently bought a budget road bike, BTwin Tiban 3, and the difference is night and day! Would heavely recomend a road bike if you are cycling on the road. I would also say the ride quality is signifigantly better, but that may be as Im comaring a 7ish yearold MTB with a 2 month old road bike

Cheers
  • heneghj wrote:
    3) Should I return the bike and buy a road bike
    Yes.

Get something you can fit mudguards and a rack to. It will make life a lot easier.
  • Cheers for the advice.

I was looking at the Btwin Tiban 3 and the Claud Butler Criterium? From reviews both look to be good bikes but im leaning more towards the Criterium as it is listed as a road/touring which im told is better for hills
  • The Triban 3 has a triple front ring anyway so will match the Claud Butler for hill climbing.

I think the Triban is a better bike overall (better groupset and carbon fork) although it's apparently quite difficult to get hold of at the moment (in certain sizes anyway).
  • Cheers Godders1

I have looked on-line and they do have my size in so I might consider this one. They could do with some kind of test drive option. Maybe a velodrome in the back or something.