Coast & Castles - Edinburgh Question

durhamwasp
durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
edited September 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi guys, we are doing an improvised C&C ride this weekend, but im just wondering how much of a hassle starting in Edinburgh is? As we will be rolling up in a campervan, getting the bikes off, couple of pics and away on Friday morning.

Is this possible at the start, or is parking going to be near impossible?

Also, are the cycle paths out of Edinburgh pretty fast going, or are the first 8 miles likely to take us more than an hour? If so, we may well start it just South of Edinburgh around Newcraighall.

Thanks for your help
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

Comments

• Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    The routes from the city centre out to Newcraighall are ok but nothing special. Unless you've got a desperate desire to start in the city centre - I dunno perhaps you might want to see the sunrise over Arthurs Seat - its probably not worth the effort.
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Could park up somewhere like Kings Stables Road which is below the castle and then go East (I presume that is your intended direction) down to Holyrood Park and then either turning up the hill and going towards Craigmillar (the castle can be visited if that's your thing), past Kinnaird Fort (shopping centre) or go out of the park skirting Meadowbank . Then on to Musselburgh, probably not going down to Portobello as the roundabout you'd hit will be very busy. Should be able to get to Musselburgh in 30 mins and from there you are against the flow of traffic at rush hour so won't be too bad. Should get a tailwind too.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    cheers folks, think we are gonna start in Newcraighall.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....