Loss of pressure in fox float rp2 rear shock!

steve46
steve46 Posts: 31
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, just wondering if anyone would know why the air pressure as dropped significantly in only 5 days even though the bike hasn't been used? I purchased my brand new Zesty 314 last week and when I rode it outside my house a couple if days ago the shock bottomed out when I ride off a kerb edge (4"). I'm 12.5 stone and the bike was set up with 20mm of sag when sitting on it and I believe 180 psi! If it leaks is it terminal? If not what can be done? Cheers.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like it needs new o rings/seals. A basic air can service (downloadable) should do the trick (I think!).
  • Considering that it is a new bike, it's return to base time.

I have seen previously untouched Fox rear shocks with damage to the seals that has evidently been present from new and a few bikes belonging to people I know have been returned within days or weeks of delivery due to leaky shocks.

The silver lining is that once sorted they tend to be trouble free for a considerable number of years, and when they again start to leak as inevitably seals don't last forever, it's a simple enough DIY job, and inexpensive too.
    Giant Reign X1
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Has the air can come loose, have you checked?
  • Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Has the air can come loose, have you checked?

No I haven't but then to be honest I'm not sure what u mean, thought it was all one single unit with nothing able to come loose!
  • Didn't mention it before as thought I was been picky but when I first press down on the seat and compress the shock theirs a grating/squeaking sound during the first 5mm of travel!!! Not sure if this could explain something; to be honest I'm really dissapointed as expected a 2k bike with quality kit to be much smoother and squeak free, but if that's not meant to happen then maybe it's faulty!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have you spoken to the dealer?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • steve46 wrote:
    when I first press down on the seat and compress the shock theirs a grating/squeaking sound during the first 5mm of travel!!!

The shock should not do that, but your noise could be numerous things (pivots, bearing, even the seat your pressing on) but by the sound of things could be the shock.

Take all the air out of it and move the bike through its travel by hand to see if you can track down the noise.

Bottom line... Take it back. Its brand knew and your not happy with it.

A leaky shock cant just be fixed by putting more air in it. Either the shop you bought it from will need to dissmantle the shock and replace the seals/service it or they’ll need to send the shock away to a company like Mojo Suspension to fix it.

Sounds unfortunate but it happens. Don’t put up with it. Get it fixed.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    dscf1316r.jpg

This is the air can ^ it tightens in a clockwise direction to the shock body.

Let the air out, can you turn it clockwise?

Ps It doesn't need to be super tight, just firm hand tight!

With this new info coming to light(grating) and with the bike being new you would be better taking it back and asking the shop to have a look at it as there shouldn't be any grating.
  • Dirtydog11 wrote:
    dscf1316r.jpg

This is the air can ^ it tightens in a clockwise direction to the shock body.

Let the air out, can you turn it clockwise?

Ps It doesn't need to be super tight, just firm hand tight!

With this new info coming to light(grating) and with the bike being new you would be better taking it back and asking the shop to have a look at it as there shouldn't be any grating.

Think that's what I'll do, do you think I should demand a brand new replacement shock whilst their? Not sure how acceptable it is for new shocks to be stripped and re sealed!!! Assumed they shouldnt be stripped down as could lead to future problems if not dealt with by an expert!! But what do I know!!!
  • Don't 'demand' anything... Take it back, explain/demonstrate the issue, ask for it to be rectified.

That may be a new shock or fix shock.. You won't know till you ask.
  • Don't 'demand' anything... Take it back, explain/demonstrate the issue, ask for it to be rectified.

That may be a new shock or fix shock.. You won't know till you ask.

Good advice, cheers.