5 mile chain life?

Big_Paul
Big_Paul Posts: 277
edited October 2012 in The workshop
I was going to put this in the MTB forum, but the bike hasn't been used off road apart from round the local park pitches.

The other night I bought a brand new Rockrider 5.3, rode it home (two miles) then round the local park pitches for a while, went out this morning before work, just ambling along (sub 10mph) and there two clicks and no drive, the chain has broken, one link has pulled the pin out of the sideplate. Now I have a powerlink in work that someone gave me and I'm wondering should I take the bike back, which as I don't have a car would involve borrowing one off the boss, or just fit the powerlink and put it down to back luck?

As the bike is no longer pristine, would they claim the old "rider abuse" get out?
Disc Trucker
Kona Ute
Rockrider 8.1
Evil Resident
Day 01 Disc
Viking Derwent Tandem
Planet X London Road

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    where did it fail on the chain?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Pin has pulled out of the sideplate, of one of the links.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Of course take it back, if it's a good shop where you got the bike from they should simply fit a new chain with no questions asked. Whats to say another pin isn't going to come out or fail ( unlikely i guess) but its faulty all the same.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I'd say take it back as it's obviously defective.

Mind you, a powerlink is a permanent fix if you can't be bothered. You're just running the risk that the rest of the chain is defective too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it was a poorly inserted joining pin (it happens) then it's unlikely there will be any more failures, take it back for a new chain and your back to having an inserted pin, I'd just ride it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Big_Paul wrote:
    As the bike is no longer pristine, would they claim the old "rider abuse" get out?

How have you managed to de-pristine a bike in 5 miles? My commuter is near pristine after 5000 miles :lol:

Plus one to the 'carry on riding it' approach. The most you should ask for is a free quick link to give back to your colleague.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Big_Paul wrote:

How have you managed to de-pristine a bike in 5 miles? My commuter is near pristine after 5000 miles :lol:

Plus one to the 'carry on riding it' approach. The most you should ask for is a free quick link to give back to your colleague.

Very easy to de-pristine a bike round that park!

Anyway, didn't bother going back near them, bought the guy who gave me the powerlink a pint and he tried the bike, came back shaking his head then set to work on the brakes, miles better!
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • karlth
    karlth Posts: 156
    Decathlon isn't it? IME they'll not bat an eyelid, offer profuse apologies and stick a new chain on toot sweet.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To what benefit?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.