Vitus Mach-3 Flat bar road bike

small_bloke
small_bloke Posts: 222
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
Hi Guys, anybody have this bike..

Vitus Mach-3 Flat bar road bike from Chain Reaction Cycles.

Looks like a road bike frame with flat bars.

My questions are... (because its hard to see on the Chain Reaction pics)

1. Can it fit full mugdiards such as SKS or something similar. Or will it have to be Crud Racer like I have on my road bikes?

2. Can I fit 700 x 28mm tyres (it comes with 23mm tyres) and still get mudguards on?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=70340

I mainly want to use it as a fast commuter bike but more winter oriented. I will be fitting mudguards and pannier rack for those days I need to carry clothes and laptop.

Also its cheap at around £560 from Chain Reaction. I noticed it has 78 thumbs up "likes" as well !!

My only other consideration would be Wyte Cambridge 2012 because its got disc brakes and still quite light, but thats around £750 best price. They've also thought about the rear drop out design when it comes to mounting mudguards and pannier rack with disc brakes. (Don't want to buy a Boardman Hybrid).

My journey is 8 miles each way. Very "twisty turny", on and off drop kerbs with cycle paths and road mixed together, crossing some pelican crossings, down a few gullies for short cuts etc.

On sunnry dry days with no laptop and clothes I will be using my Boardman Team Carbon 2009 road bike. Before you say it, I don't want another drop bar or CX bike.

Thanks

Edit - The Vitus Mach 3 has a 11-25 casette (with compact 50/34 chainset). That might be hard work with rack and pannier with some steep hills to work. I use 12-27 on my road bike with compact chainset. That means I might have to buy a new 9sp cassette with longer chain as well. Another £45 or so I guess. Any larger cassette means a new long cage rear mech as well.

Comments

• I'll probably be in the CRC showroom sometime this week, I can certainly give you eyeball estimate on the clearances and that.
  • I'll probably be in the CRC showroom sometime this week, I can certainly give you eyeball estimate on the clearances and that.

Thanks MisterMuncher, if you could check in showroom that would brilliant! Lucky you to have a CRC nearby. Bet they have loads of bargain buckets.
  • You'd think that, but no. The odd instore deal on stuff that's not on the website. The main shop's about 20 mile away, and most of the stuff that's overstock or shop-soiled finds it's way into the "Recycled" sections of the website. Their other showroom is closer and very occassionally has bargains. Plus, they're pretty good about giving you stuff at whichever price is cheaper if there's a discrepancy between online and meatspace.
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    Im heading over in half an hour if youd like some pics or anything
  • paul_mck wrote:
    Im heading over in half an hour if youd like some pics or anything

Thanks paul_mck...that would be very useful.

Close up pic of the front and rear brake calipers. So I can see the mudguard clearance underneath the brake caliper and front forks/rear triangle stay. Please try to take the pic reasonably close up low level as viewed from front and rear of the bike.

Wow...this forum to so useful. This is so much appreciated
  • paul_mck
    will get what I can :)
  • paul_mck
    got a couple of pics but its very tight in there. just about do crud roadracers imo.
  • Thanks Paul. You've confirmed what I thought about only being able to fit Crud Roadracer mudguards. So don't bother with the pics (time consuming). That probably means no 28mm tyres for winter either. This must be a proper racing style frame.

Hmmm... might have to think twice as a commuter bike. Appreciate you taking the time to go in store and taking a look for me.