tech: - cassette building question

playframe king
playframe king Posts: 31
edited September 2012 in Amateur race
I have a semi technical question....pls be gentle with me....and mods pls put in a different section if this isnt the right place - ta.
Son has started racing, so is limited on track gear ratios - just bought BBB 16/25 10sp cassette with a 52 front - to meet the regs and get going...
Fitting was a bit of a pain as the chain just fouled the rear stay (as 16 is so much larger than the 11 which was the smallest gear on original cassette.)
Anyway, got over that prob by inserting a spacer.
Now we want to "build" a cassette with teeth
11 13 16 upwards
This way we can race with the bottom two closed off, and he can continue to keep up on the downhills and flats on the club road rides using the 11 and 13 reopened at weekends.

Question is - if I buy another BBB 11 - 25 cassette, can I simply take off say the 11 and 13, and "shuffle" onto the 16-25, - losing the top two 23 and 25? making 11 13 16 upwards
and will the deraileur be able to change up down through 11 13 16 upwards OK? or are these "steps" too big?
Any advice welcomed - dont want to buy another cassette to try this idea only to find it wont work, and cant use the 11 and 13 off the old cassette as it isnt BBB - Ive tried..
Other way to resolve issue is to buy another identical rear wheel, and have the two different cassettes, one on each wheel, and just swap them over as required.
thanks in advance,

Comments

• If he is riding restricted gears for racing keep it the same so he gets used to it, why would he need a 11?!!! wrong place to post as this is track ;-)
  • Thanks old welshman
    Judging from this weekends ride, He thinks he needs smaller to keep up with the adults on the flat and the downhills on the weekend club rides (50+miles)
    I did open by saying this may be in the wrong place within the forums - please advise the best place!
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Most of our club juniors can keep up ok they just have to spin like mad.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,656
    Probably best asking in workshop for the technical advice but I would echo what others have said above, keep the gearing as he will race as it is intended to protect young riders with developing bodies from picking up long term injuries. I've never used an 11t sprocket in my life and my biggest gear of 52 x 12 gets used very rarely.
  • Thanks old welshman
    Judging from this weekends ride, He thinks he needs smaller to keep up with the adults on the flat and the downhills on the weekend club rides (50+miles)
    I did open by saying this may be in the wrong place within the forums - please advise the best place!
    No need for small sprokets to go faster to keep up after all its a club run not a race, thats where he needs to keep up :D I ride often with younng riders from 12 upwards on road and track and they have no trouble keeping up believe me :D I have done 50mph on 50 x 13 and sure your sone will get to peddle faster than me soon :D Just persevere with tthe current restricted gears, they are restricted for a reason as Pross said.
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    I've raced as youth past few years and its better to train with the restricted gears on as its all about your cadence in the racing, its not that difficult to keep up on the club run as it shouldn't be faster than his races. If hes struggling with cadence it may be worth doing some specific sessions or investing in some rollers which helps.