Changing forks

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, Just a quick question. Upgrading the forks on my specialized hardrock sport disc 2012 i have gone for Rockshox Recon Gold TK Forks 2012 100mm travel. I've watched a couple of videos on youtube and am pretty confident about changing the forks, just wanted to double check that for a beginner, this is possible??

Cheers.

Comments

• possible to do it myself that is
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the info on parktools?

know how to remove a crown race?
    use a tape measure?
    use a hacksaw?
    know how to fit a starnut?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nope,nope,yup,yup,nope.

not gunna get very far haha..maybe leave it to the professionals
  • and would you be able to post info on parktools for me? cant seem to find it :S
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    two links on here already. also try the FAQs
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Parktools link in Nicks sig?

No single step is hard, do it step by step and you'll be fine.

While lots of special tools are available, removing and fitting a crown race only needs CAREFUL use of a hammer and screwdriver, fitting a star nut CAREFUL use of a hammer, worse case you get it wrong and need a few pence worth of extra bits from the LBS if you have to get them to bail you out!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers guys good to hear both bits of advice. When cutting the steerer to the right size, could i just measure the lenght of my current one and use that? cheers
  • MTB_TR wrote:
    Cheers guys good to hear both bits of advice. When cutting the steerer to the right size, could i just measure the lenght of my current one and use that? cheers

Yes i'd say thats the best way, measure both without the crown race though.

You need to make sure the cut is square too, I used a jubilee clip as a guide.
  • I have done this. I used a bock of wood and tapped it with a hammer to remove the crown bit on the fork steerer. It just takes patience as it moves a little at a time.

I wasn't confident enough to cut the steerer. I didn't have a guide (like the park one), so I got my LBS to cut it for me. They charged a tenner to do this (I didn't buy the forks from them). Measure VERY carefully!

Star fangled nut is easy enough. Just used another bit of wood and tapped it down with a hammer.

If you really are in doubt, get some help. Did yuou buy them from your LBS?

Regards

Carl
  • Crown race may be hardest, not difficult but unless you've done it before you may begin to doubt yourself.

I use an old woodworking chisel and a hammer, you need to go round it carefully i.e. tap one side, then the other, etc.

Having said that you may consider replacing the entire headset if it's not quite perfect, you may be shocked at the rust in the bearings when the old fork is removed.

Sliding either the new or old crown race on the new fork generally requires a piece of pipe that fits nicely over the race (and that is cut square!) and whacking it in works (with care!).

The actual steerer does not need to be cut absolutely square, but near enough will do. No part of the cut edge actually bears upon anything, there should always be clearance from the top cap.

You can use masking tape (or any tape) round the steerer to use as a guide.

Pipe cutter will work on an alloy steerer but you will need a file on the raised / swaged edge anyway, hacksaw is generally, surprisingly, less work.
    Giant Reign X1
  • I'm thinking of doing the same with my hardrock sport disc also.
    Looking at the silver recon tk though.

Is it better to get coils or solo air?

There's about £50 difference at the moment on eBay.......

Also, how long should the steerer length be? Anyone any experience with this?

Thanks!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Coils are heavier, and unless you are average weight may be too stiff or too soft for you, with air you can set the pring rate not just the preload (sag).

Steerer needs to be at least as long as your headtube plus the stack height of your headset plus the height of your stem (less a few mm), easiest thing is to have it as long as your current one!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.