Need to borrow or buy stronglight crank remover

grpnpton
grpnpton Posts: 275
edited September 2012 in The cake stop
Park tool ccp1 tool apparent fits too,will cover all postage costs and return promptly,my threads are in good shape and I know how to use these.thankyou

Comments

• e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    What size thread does it need to be?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's just an ordinary square taper standard crank remover of the sort that everyone should probably have! You can buy them on Ebay for not much more than the return postage for borrowing one! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • As far as I know stronglight are all one size and different from TA etc mine dates from the late 70's, model 93, all the one's on ebay are a bit too pricey, just need to remove a set right now.thanks
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ahh, it's a bit clearer now - my old Stronglight crank is from 1990 and was fine with the standard extractor. See this from Sheldon Brown; http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cotterless.html
    Which tool to buy depends on what brand and model of crankset you have. Although all types use the same one-thread-per-millimeter pitch, there are three common diameters for the dustcap threads: Campagnolo, 22 mm; T.A. 23 mm; and Stronglight, 23.35 mm. All other brands that I know of use the same size as Campagnolo. There is one small exception: early Lambert cranksets were threaded 7/8-inch by 24 threads per inch.)
    To service a T.A. crankset, you need a T.A. puller. For Stronglight, ideally, you should have a Stronglight puller, but the T.A. is usable (although it fits a bit more loosely than it should). For any other brand, you have a wider choice available. Here are some things to keep in mind as you shop among the alternatives:

[The above two paragraphs are out-of-date; all modern cranks use the 22 mm "Campagnolo" size. Stronglight switched in 1982. TA still uses the 23 mm size for the traditional "Cyclotouriste" (5 vis) model only.] Pullers made primarily for Type I cranksets usually have a rotating collar on the end of the "bolt." This collar is the part that actually pushes against the end of the axle to pull the crank off. If you use this type of tool on a Type II spindle, it will work, but the threaded end of the spindle may damage the pivot of the tool's collar. Also, some Type I pullers simply don't fit on Type II cranksets: the puller's "nut" may interfere with the threaded boss on the spindle.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    Rolf F wrote:
    Ahh, it's a bit clearer now - my old Stronglight crank is from 1990 and was fine with the standard extractor. See this from Sheldon Brown; http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cotterless.html
    Which tool to buy depends on what brand and model of crankset you have. Although all types use the same one-thread-per-millimeter pitch, there are three common diameters for the dustcap threads: Campagnolo, 22 mm; T.A. 23 mm; and Stronglight, 23.35 mm. All other brands that I know of use the same size as Campagnolo. There is one small exception: early Lambert cranksets were threaded 7/8-inch by 24 threads per inch.)
    To service a T.A. crankset, you need a T.A. puller. For Stronglight, ideally, you should have a Stronglight puller, but the T.A. is usable (although it fits a bit more loosely than it should). For any other brand, you have a wider choice available. Here are some things to keep in mind as you shop among the alternatives:

[The above two paragraphs are out-of-date; all modern cranks use the 22 mm "Campagnolo" size. Stronglight switched in 1982. TA still uses the 23 mm size for the traditional "Cyclotouriste" (5 vis) model only.] Pullers made primarily for Type I cranksets usually have a rotating collar on the end of the "bolt." This collar is the part that actually pushes against the end of the axle to pull the crank off. If you use this type of tool on a Type II spindle, it will work, but the threaded end of the spindle may damage the pivot of the tool's collar. Also, some Type I pullers simply don't fit on Type II cranksets: the puller's "nut" may interfere with the threaded boss on the spindle.

That's why I asked about the size I have a couple of extractors but niether fit an old stronglight crank I still have.