Question for those TT'ing on Tubs

Sammyw23
Sammyw23 Posts: 627
edited October 2012 in Amateur race
Do you carry any p******e repair like sealant or spare tub on longer TTs?

Just started TT'ing and considering some Planet X deep rim tubs. Happy to carry nothing on a 10 mile TT as worst case you are 5 miles from home/car which worst case can be walked but a bit nervous at the idea of being 12.5 miles away on a 25 mile TT with a flat.
Cervelo P3
Bianchi Infinito
Cannondale CAAD10

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    spare wheels are on the support car.....

or the mavic car
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Sammyw23 wrote:
    Do you carry any p******e repair like sealant or spare tub on longer TTs?

Nope, I TT on tubs, without spares or sealant for distances up to, and including, 100 miles, although my "sag wagon" carries spare wheels for a 12hr.
  • GBY73
    GBY73 Posts: 20
    I race time trials on tubs and don't carry any spares, though poss should on longer opens. If it's my club's event I can rely on someone looking for me if I don't appear at the finish.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I race on tubs and clinchers and don't carry spares, if I puncture, it is either a long walk back or getting a lift with a kind marshall. Even a 12 hour will just be a phone and hope I can get through the the helper to find me with a spare wheel.
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Normally possible to ride (slowly) back to the HQ on a punctured tub. Sealant is normally a wast of time is useless at race pressures or if the puncture hole is more than a couple of microns in diameter.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    It's a race, I take my chance. If not then where does it end? Spare tyres, chain in case it snaps, spare cleats, spare bearings? Most TTs you are never far away from your start point or a fellow racer who will come and pick you up after they have finished.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Dess1e wrote:
    Normally possible to ride (slowly) back to the HQ on a punctured tub. Sealant is normally a wast of time is useless at race pressures or if the puncture hole is more than a couple of microns in diameter.

i ruined £1000 worth of carbon disc by doing that. don't do it, walk
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    sub55 wrote:
    Dess1e wrote:

i ruined £1000 worth of carbon disc by doing that. don't do it, walk
    Should have got a Bora instead then :wink:
  • ShavenLegs
    ShavenLegs Posts: 33
    I don't carry spares in a race, there is almost always someone who'll come and pick you up if you puncture. I've only had one puncture in 4 years of TT'ing on tubs; might just be luck. When they do puncture you can still ride on them with care - managed 4 miles back to a race HQ with no rim damage.
  • I use a Specialized Aero bottle as a Toolkit (I have a Specialized Transition which is alledgedly faster with the bottle) - right now I just stick my mini pump, keys and some of those self adhesive tube patches in there. The idea I had is that I can bodge the tyre with enough air (stopping frequently to top up) to get me back to the car.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Just get an understanding wife....oh, and it helps greatly if you get your 14yr old son to do some TTing with you as the missus then views it as quality dad/ son bonding time and will always come out if he makes the phone call!!!! :wink:

PP
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    I dont understand why it isn't worth carrying a can of pit stop for the 60g it weighs, as 70% of the time it will have you on your way with only a min lost. You wont be wining the TT or setting a personal best, but does save a SOS call!
  • its not just about the time your losing, it's a motivation thing as well! i dont carry anything on TT's if i puncture my race is over.

walk back if punctured!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    RPD Steve wrote:
    I dont understand why it isn't worth carrying a can of pit stop for the 60g it weighs, as 70% of the time it will have you on your way with only a min lost. You wont be wining the TT or setting a personal best, but does save a SOS call!

Because it's shit, in the two times I've used it, it hasn't worked.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Really? Guess its a bit hit and miss. Worked 3/3 for me. But also carry a tub/co2 in a camera case in pocket for the 250g it weights. I get the motivation thing though- its just for me I'd feel even worse if i had to walk for a few miles watching others ride by!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    RPD Steve wrote:

Not the easiest thing to carry in a skin suit though
  • I use a Specialized Aero bottle as a Toolkit (I have a Specialized Transition which is alledgedly faster with the bottle) - right now I just stick my mini pump, keys and some of those self adhesive tube patches in there. The idea I had is that I can bodge the tyre with enough air (stopping frequently to top up) to get me back to the car.

Never thought of that before! - Such a simple but effective idea... Always seems a shame to put a saddle bag on a pretty looking Italian bike! But a tool kit within a bottle obviously doesn't effect the aesthetics so much!
  • IGH
    IGH Posts: 22
    I use a tiny under-seat pack on long TTs, but it's to carry a phone to call support. Touring or audax on the other hand I try to be self-sufficient (and I'm not on tubs then).
  • danowat wrote:
    RPD Steve wrote:

Because it's shoot, in the two times I've used it, it hasn't worked.

This.

I've used that stuff 4 times and it's completely failed all 4.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • danowat wrote:
    RPD Steve wrote:

Because it's shoot, in the two times I've used it, it hasn't worked.

This.

I've used that stuff 4 times and it's completely failed all 4.

Daft question... do you know why it didn't work? Did you use in on tubs with latex tubes?
    left the forum March 2023
  • It's been used on a variety of tubs. A vittoria CX Pave, a cheaper Vittoria, a Conti sprinter (that one didn't work because of the huge gash in the sidewall that just sent sealant fountaining across the A66!) and a Bontrager too... I have no idea why it didn't work as I followed the instructions to the letter.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Strap a tub under the saddle with a minipump unless you've a supporter who will come rescue you.
    Walking 5 miles in bike shoes would take about 2 hours ? The weight isn't an issue on flat time trials anyway.

Clubmate of mine knacked his disc by racing the last half mile of a 25 on a flat.