crankset question.

Bigchris
Bigchris Posts: 131
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Right, I brought a crank set from crc and received it fine. I was expecting it to be a full crankset, with both left and right arms etc. Found out after opening that it is just the right crank, is this right?

If so where do I buy the left crank arm from? Seeing that it was a crank SET I assumed it would be the full crank...set. Its not a major problem as there is nothing wrong with the current one, but thought it would be nice to have two matching arms. Instead of looking like some Frankenstein bike.

The crank set I purchased is a 8 speed octalink alivio.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=46023

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the other arm should be in the box.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Normally under a carboard flap in the box.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Meh I hope you are both right...its at my parents and only had a quick ganders before I left earlier. I did look under that flap and didn't notice anything, but was in a rush, so I may of overlooked it....i hope so.

If not at
    least i know it should be there and can get a replacement.

Cheers lads, will have a look asap.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    CRC are excellent at returns and sorting things out anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yea, seen alot of hype on here about there new returns system, might have to give it a test run at this rate. Finding it hard to fathom overlooking it in what...a 5cm by 30cm box. What are these olivios like anyway? After reading some reviews on mbr I feel like shooting myself.

Coming from a acera crankset I assume it is going to be better. the acres withstood everything I had to throw at it up to now...until I changed gear uphill and ripped the smaller chainring pretty much clean off..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    acera/alivio are basically the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    As Nicklouse says, the two cranksets are very similar. That said, they also are both very good. Im surprise to hear you had issues. Had you checked the tightness of the chainring bolts regularly?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I hadn't of checked the chain ring bolts.

I think it was more of a plain error by myself, three of the bolts had ripped out and left the chain ring looking like a taco out of a el Paso box and the chain in half. I changed into the first ring with too much stress on the crank uphill.

Got a bit hero-ish having a few people resting, i thought let me show these the legs of steel...crunch. Ended up walking to swinnerton cycles.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To rip out, they were almost certainly loose aleady.....too late now though...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.