Advice wanted!

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,443
edited September 2012 in Track
Sorry for the vague title but I couldn't think of how to word the thread! I did my beginners and improvers at Newport a couple of years back and enjoyed it enough to get a cheap track bike. The reason being I live very close to the track and thought I could find some sessions to ride through the winter to develop my fitness. However, the only session I could find to suit my needs and which I could get to regularly was a Sunday evening improvers session. I went along on a couple of occassions but due to the bad weather that year the sessions had been opened up to better riders and even though I rode with the slower group I was finding I couldn't hold the pace when riding a paceline and would struggle when we had to take laps as my fitness was so poor.

I'm thinking of going back down this winter as I am a lot fitter but I'm still concerned that I may find myself unable to hold a wheel in the paceline if things get too quick and what I need advice on is what to do if I do struggle and lose the wheel? Should I keep riding with the gap getting bigger taking everyone behind with me until it is my turn on the front before I pull off and drop out or pull out as soon as I start struggling? Also, if I should drop out of the line should I just check my shoulder, flick the elbow and pull up the banking then drop down the track once the rest of the line is safely out of the way (checking first obviously)? It's something that never came up on the courses I did as the fitness level wasn't an issue and everyone rode to the pace of the slowest.

Also, how well do tubs cope with being left unridden for 2 years? Are they likely to perish or should they be OK to use subject to being wiped down / sanded?

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I'm no track god but the most likely solution is to speak to the coach running the session (assuming there is one)

I would guess that you will cope fine as you are fitter, the group dynamics may change from season to season... if you do want to split off the line I would guess that you would take a turn and then as you ride up the bank then don't rejoin

tubs I have no idea
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    pump them up

any cracks and bin them, no one will thank you for a blow out on the track
  • You won't get thanked if you just sit there letting the gap grow. As soon as you feel you have blown, pull out of the line to let the riders behind close up. If you're feeling up to it, a nice touch is to keep the pace up as you pull out, to pull the riders behind onto the wheel in front. And as you suggest, shoulder check, flick and pull up to let the line pass before dropping down behind and off.

Sit out, recover, do the next session. Get fitter and faster each time. You'll get there, don't worry about it.

But primarily, whatever the coach tells you to do.
    It doesn't get any easier, but I don't appear to be getting any faster.
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    I'm sure you will be fine.

I'm thinking that I will ease myself back in with the Friday night CC Cardiff Sessions - would you consider going to do these as well?

These sessions apparently offer lots of drop in and our bits in between people practicing sprints and such like.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,443
    Dru wrote:
    I'm sure you will be fine.

I'm thinking that I will ease myself back in with the Friday night CC Cardiff Sessions - would you consider going to do these as well?

These sessions apparently offer lots of drop in and our bits in between people practicing sprints and such like.

Always on the look out for sessions I can actually get to so if they are a sensible time I'd definitely be interested - it then frees up a Sunday for the club run. What time are they? I would do the vets session on a Friday but it's too early for me.
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    I beleive its straight after the vets session.

7-9.30 sounds about right i think.
  • Pross, never leave a gap, either close it or swing off, but not too high just incase there is a blue line riding.
    As for tubs pump it up and look for blisters or lumps!!
    Go to end of vets and on to the CC cardiff if you want rides, also on facebook you will see lots of extra events, you could have done 3 hours yesterday mixture of derny, maddison, TP and general riding, MHO is doing a couple more soon.