Isopropyl Alternatives

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening all

Just gathering the gubbins for my fork service

Is there an alternative to using isopropyl ? i have some degreaser that I've used for cleaning BB and chain etc

I don't mind buying it, but if i already have something that can be used then no point in buying

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• Fork? I just used fenwicks degreaser, neat.
    Not as big deal a if you leave a tiny bit of residue on forks - compared to on your brakes.
  • DCR00
    Nice. Will use that then.
  • I will not be held responsible if your fork catches a bad case of bike aids though. Just because I used it as it's all I had lying around, doesn't mean it's right.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As long as its a degreaser that is safe with rubber seals (etc) it will be OK....if it's not it won't!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    DCR00 wrote:

Is there an alternative to using isopropyl ? i have some degreaser that I've used for cleaning BB and chain etc

I don't mind buying it, but if i already have something that can be used then no point in buying

DCR

If you don't mind buying why not get the best for the job? Isopropyl.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • DCR00
    plugp7 wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:

DCR

If you don't mind buying why not get the best for the job? Isopropyl.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    i'm pretty sure muc off brake cleaner is pretty much IPA.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    Isn;t isopropyl alcohol pretty much whats in antiseptic wipes??
    May not be any use to you!
    But my lizard skins frame patches cames with an isopropyl wipe which was an antiseptic wipe!
    cheaper? I don't know, but possibly lying round the house!
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII
  • Isopropanol is cheap and works well, why would you need an alternative?

£4 a bottle lasts ages.
  • symanoy wrote:
    Isn;t isopropyl alcohol pretty much whats in antiseptic wipes??
    May not be any use to you!
    But my lizard skins frame patches cames with an isopropyl wipe which was an antiseptic wipe!
    cheaper? I don't know, but possibly lying round the house!

I could be wrong, but i would think most antiseptic wipes have a small amount of some kind of oil in them to help stop your skin drying out (in the same way that surgical spirit has a small amount of oil in it), so using them for brake cleaning would not be the best idea. forks might be ok, but personally i wouldn't risk it.