Play in Bottom Bracket axle....

drumon
drumon Posts: 175
edited September 2012 in The workshop
I have a square taper bottom bracket, not sure type, probably cartridge type, with an E-type derailleur on it too.

The axle appears to have play within the bottom bracket.

Same happened a couple years ago, the derailleur was loose too, had LBS tighten it up and all was fine and solid.

This time the derailleur is not loose, suggesting to me that the bottom bracket is still solid in the frame, but the axle has play in it, 3-4mm. Both cranks wobble together.

What should I plan to do about it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Poves
    Poves Posts: 23
    If it is a cartridge as you suggest, it has no serviceable parts so will need replacing. A new Shimano one will cost about £10 off eBay. Easy to do yourself if you have the tools - but not too expensive a job for your LBS to do.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    And dont just buy any BB as it needs to be an Etype and have the correct axle lenght for your cranks and the correct thread and shell width fo your frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • drumon
    drumon Posts: 175
    THanks

I'll take it to the LBS and have them sort it. Will buy the tools next time!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ask for the old one then you'll have all the size data to hand!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.