Bad Luck or underlying problem?

Michmatch
Michmatch Posts: 5
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I'm relatively new to MTB, always had bikes but never before abused one as much as I have in the last 15 months!

I have a specialized hardrock pro 2011 (15months old - used most weekends - trail centres, bridleways etc) and in the last 2 months I have got through a pair of pedals, a bottom bracket, and on Tuesday I broke the chain.
I am concerned that maybe there is an underlying problem here, whether it is riding style or a component I'm not sure - I was hoping someone here could offer advice? I wouldn't want anything else going wrong if it can be prevented.

The pedals were a bit cheap and nasty so probably at the end of their life, but the bottom bracket and chain going has surprised me.

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    15 months for a chain and BB isn't bad but you'll probably need at least a new cassette and possibly chainrings if you're getting a new chain otherwise you'll have other problems.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    BB is what?

Square taper (most likley on a hardrock) last longest, but 15 months isn't exactly a premature failure!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • as above, they arnt the highest specc'd out of the box, so i'd put it down to wear, i put a new chain on mine every year due to stretch, to save having to go through new rings and cassette every time, (typically get 3 chains to a cassette) a new cassette on crc for the std oem style kit can be had for sub £20 and a chain is around a tenner, - obv. will be considerably more in the lbs,
    ofcourse, could be a good time for some upgrade parts!!! :-D ;-)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481