2012 Orange Crush

WoodsRider
WoodsRider Posts: 24
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone,
I am thinking of getting the 2012 Orange Crush bike, and I just wanted to find out what other people think! My riding is XC trails, with quite a bit of uphill riding! I can't find the weight of the bike anywhere, so any help is appreciated, thank you. :)
Pat

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Average bike, there are much better bikes on the market for the same money for the type of riding you describe.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    On paper it's under-specced and heavy for what it is/costs. For a similar price (at rrp) something like the 456 Carbon looks better.
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    Over priced!!!......... made in taiwan........ and i have one!!! but brought the frame on the cheap!! avoid!!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Adotparker
    WoodsRider wrote:
    Hello everyone,
    I am thinking of getting the 2012 Orange Crush bike, and I just wanted to find out what other people think! My riding is XC trails, with quite a bit of uphill riding! I can't find the weight of the bike anywhere, so any help is appreciated, thank you. :)
    Pat

13.5kgs
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker wrote:
    WoodsRider wrote:
    Hello everyone,
    Pat

13.5kgs

sorry sorry..... 13.9 kgs and mine is the 19"
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Wow! Quick and very helpful responses, thanks to everyone! The weight, and overall spec is (now looking at it) not worth the price! So I think I'm going to have a look into the lapierre and cube bikes! Off topic - but has anyone had any experience with all terrain cycles, good or bad?

Once again, many thanks for the help! Pat
  • Adotparker
    Have a look at the Canyon Hardtails.......... hard to beat for the money!!.. unless your want a Carrera paperboy bike
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Adotparker
    quote="WoodsRider"]Wow! Quick and very helpful responses, thanks to everyone! The weight, and overall spec is (now looking at it) not worth the price! So I think I'm going to have a look into the lapierre and cube bikes! Off topic - but has anyone had any experience with all terrain cycles, good or bad?

Once again, many thanks for the help! Pat[/quote]

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2542
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Can't argue with Canyon's value but do they do anything at all similar to the Crush? I thought all their hardtails are short travel lightweight xc bikes?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Which would be perfect for XC trails and riding up hills
  • Adotparker
    Can't argue with Canyon's value but do they do anything at all similar to the Crush? I thought all their hardtails are short travel lightweight xc bikes?

They even out-do Halfords and Decathlon........... but keep that too yourself........ don't wanna upset the posse!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • I have a 07 Crush and I find it fine have no real problems with it apart from its getting a little old and tired now. I fancy a Cube hardtail myself next.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Adotparker wrote:

They even out-do Halfords and Decathlon........... but keep that too yourself........ don't wanna upset the posse!

the posse being? i think enough people have bought canyons to have their own 'posse' don't you? :roll:

did you want the crush as it's got longer travel? i had a 100mm travel hardtail that i liked but wanted a bit of a smoother ride and i now have a 150mm travel cove hardtail and i love it. the voodoo bikes at halfords (sorry adot :roll: ) have had good reviews and on-one are doing some good buys on complete bikes, such as:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOO4561X5/ ... ektor_bike
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    The crush is a bit pricey for what it is. I'd avoid boardman, canyon, cube etc for hardtails as they're all very racey XC hardtails. Yeah I guess they're perfect for going up hills, not so much for coming back down them, so it depends on your priorities. Personally I prefer something with more travel and relaxed angles like the crush. Have a look at the Ragley full builds (can get a piglet build for around £800), on one builds etc.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Boardman HTs have 69 degree head angles, not that racy! Though the Crush is slacker.
  • ilovedirt
    69 is very steep to me!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You'd like my bikes then, 71!
  • supersonic wrote:

I can get 73 on the Bionicon in uphill mode ;)
  • ilovedirt
    My Ragley is 64 ;) haha
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    My Ragley is 64 ;) haha

My Scalp is 63 degrees. Do I win?
  • ilovedirt
    Haha, I'm sure the 223 is is about 63, and that's not as slack as it goes :p
    I win the silly hardtail competition though for sure :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    ilovedirt wrote:

Wonder if my stupidly slack 456 would beat your ragley...
    supersonic wrote:

My xc bike is 71 too, got to say I really love it, although most hate it :lol:
  • I measured my 456SS with 160mm Domains using a calibrated inclinometer. 64.2 degrees. I expected slacker to be honest. I'm going to measure it again soon with the 140mm Pikes fitted.
    Orange 223 is 64 degrees according to the original brochure.
  • ilovedirt
    Fair enough, used to be slacker with the old 888s on there, but they had a ridiculously long A2C.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Angry Bird wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

According to the webby the slackest 456 is the evo at 65.7.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I believe that geometry is based on a 120mm fork.
  • ilovedirt
    that's 150mm, the ragley is 65deg with a 160mm fork, so they're about the same by the sounds of it.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Now this has got a slack head angle, what do you reckon about 40deg? :D

chop2.JPG
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Angry Bird wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

According to the webby the slackest 456 is the evo at 65.7.....

They stopped making the summer season, it was slacker than the 456. The evo replaced the steel 456 but still sin't as slack as the summer season.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    my stiffee is 66 :wink: