Fox 36 Service - DIY or professional?

Woody80
Woody80 Posts: 324
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a set of 2012 Talas 36 (RLC FIT) that could use a seal service at the very least, they've gone a bit "squeaky" which disappears if you leave it upside down overnight.

The Fox manual says about removing the seals with a screwdriver which seems a bit risky. Mojo have a video (for 32s though) where you completely remove the lowers.

Is a fork service a DIY job or should I send them to Mojo? Did contemplate a Kashima upgrade but reviews seem mixed?

Comments

• Met some guys (and a lass) from Mojo at the weekend.. they def know their shiz.

I'd give em a call and see what they can do for you if its overdue a service/has never been serviced.
  • I'd say, the lower leg service is a possible DIY job - provided you're a decent mechanic.
    However, I send my 36s away for a full service, since I just don't have the tools to strip the damper assembly down.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Still pretty new, could just be dry wipers. I'd get some Float Fluid, smear some around the bottom of the stanchion and pump the forks a few times. Picks up dust and stuff as well which you can wipe off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    cooldad wrote:
    Still pretty new, could just be dry wipers. I'd get some Float Fluid, smear some around the bottom of the stanchion and pump the forks a few times. Picks up dust and stuff as well which you can wipe off.
    Think that is the problem which is why I left it upside down for a few days. Don't know how much fluid is in the legs rather than being in the cartridge though? I'll try the float fluid on the stantion approach as a start though.

Does anyone actually do the seal service every 15 hours as per Fox's recommendation?