tektro brakes- poor stopping power

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi basically last time I rode my gt I noticed the brakes were poor. I took the pads put and they were shot . I have today put in new pads but there not much better. Im thinking that the rotors must be contaminated. I tried cleaning them with a scoured and white spirit but still not much better? Shod I try sanding them with some fine wet or dry? Cheers Chris

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ride them a bit and bed the new pads in.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    crispy1980 wrote:
    I tried cleaning them with a scoured and white spirit but still not much better? Shod I try sanding them with some fine wet or dry? Cheers Chris
    take the rotors of and get then clean in the sink. and get some new pads as you are most likey to have killed the new ones with the white spirt.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I removed the wheels to clean the discs and made sure they were dry so I hope they would be fine. I'll take it for a ride and see if they get any better
  • Dry has nothing to do with it, there will be a residue, which is why you should use IPA or proper disc cleaner. It'll be the residue that may have totalled the pads
  • Just took it for a quick blast and it's working much better now . Cheers all.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    White spirit is not ideal, but can be used to degrease discs as long as you finish off with a paper towel which will remove it's residue, IPA is much better though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.