Octalink splines: to grease or not to grease?

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My BB has started to creak, so my plan is to take the cranks off, make sure it's nice and tight, and reattach everything at the correct torque. Shimano's own technical document doesn't mention greasing the splines prior to reassembly, should I reassemble them dry or grease them? And if the latter, should I use a "pure" grease (no additives), lithium or copper grease?
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• Nothing, just make sure it is all clean
  • always put a drop of grease pon the splines of the bb when fitting, if its creaking then could be the inner bearings going, even if youve the Xt version they arn't replaceable, iirc now shimano only offer the Deore version and its not cheap rrp either!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have always used grease/loctite/anti-seize on anything that fits together after numerous dry disassembly 'experiences'

But check first that you have applied a smear of grease on the inside of the non-driveside cup (where it contacts the bb cartridge itself) it is often overlooked and can cause creaks.

Note that the tightening torque is 60Nm which is...tight
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Never felt the need to grease Octalink, as soon as the bolts are undone the arms have always just pulled off no problem.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Never felt the need to grease Octalink, as soon as the bolts are undone the arms have always just pulled off no problem.
    they come greased from the factory. so most likey enough still on them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown