Conditioning/Training

bwtmc
bwtmc Posts: 31
edited September 2012 in Health, fitness & training
Hey guys, I'm Jak, 23, and pretty new to biking...

So im going to get back to training a few times a week, keep my self in shape and what not, but as i want to improve my game on the bike, i would like to know what areas you guys target, and how you go about doin it, so im open to advice that i can take into consideration and put into pace in my new routine........

so fire away people :)

Jak

Comments

• 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Find your weaknesses and target those, assuming you're generally OK.
    Although you're 20 stone no point targeting climbing quite yet.
    Or taget what you enjoy. If you're riding for fun, why do stuff you don't like?
  • Just ride. You'll get fitter the more you ride.
  • bwtmc
    i was after more specific advice, as im fairly fitness savy already.... just wanted to know what areas you guys train.. ect
  • bwtmc wrote:
    i want to improve my game on the bike
    Like I said before, just ride more.
  • bwtmc
    I bike to work and back every day, but the only time i get to train is going to be at 5.30am-6.30am i cant go for a ride then, so i want to include things in my workout that will help me on the bike.
  • What do you mean when you say you only get to train between 5:30 and 6:30?
    Besides that, I still say, just ride more. There's not much more to it than that unless you're specifically aiming to race, or to do endurance events and such. In which case you'de need to ride more, but faster, or ride for longer.
  • bwtmc
    I mean im too busy atm, and there is no where close enough i can ride with only a hour to spare in the mornings. I want to train in the morns, going running, doing push-ups, sit ups ect... and i just thought i would be good to kill two birds with one stone, in that i might be able to train certain muscle groups that would help with DH/XC type stuff.
  • Too busy?
    But you've just said you have an hour where you can do something each morning.

I have a feeling you may need to start again, from the top.
  • bwtmc
    Ok right, im to busy in the day/night to train, so my intention is to train for a hour in the morns before work.. 3 times a week, i want to include things in there that will help me on the bike....

Hope this is clearer.
  • Ok. So....
    Ride your bike. Blast it round a route for an hour or something.
  • bwtmc
    i still think your missing the point here, thanks tho... think ill go else where for advice.

Cheers
    Jak
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Pretty sure you're missing the point...

The best way to get better at riding your bike is to ride your bike. That's it.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep, they're right. Just ride more. 5:30 sounds like a great time to ride, empty roads.
  • 16mm
    bwtmc wrote:
    i was after more specific advice, as im fairly fitness savy already.... just wanted to know what areas you guys train.. ect

I train my weaknesses. Other people I know try to improve what they're already good at.
    What are you trying to achieve? Train for that.
    Don't follow someone elses program.
    Here is some advice. Ride as fast as you can for the whole ride, door to door, whatever the route or distance.
  • njee20
    Here is some advice. Ride as fast as you can for the whole ride, door to door, whatever the route or distance.

It's not particularly good advice, but to be fair you didn't say it was!

If you're pushed for time interval training is likely to be the way to go, just depends what you want to achieve, and as people have said, you train your weaknesses. If you're new to riding, just ride your bike, doing interval training with little base fitness is unlikely to yield much success.
  • 16mm
    njee20 wrote:

It's not particularly good advice, but to be fair you didn't say it was!
    I dunno, a 1hr ride as fast as you can will be a threshold session. 2 or 3 hrs as fast as you can will be tempo rides, all awesome for base fitness.
    These work for me.
  • njee20
    It's not the way to make the most of the time you have though. Structured training would yield better results.
  • 16mm
    njee20 wrote:
    It's not the way to make the most of the time you have though. Structured training would yield better results.

It is structured. I find I can sprint and ride fast with no problems. My weakness is endurace for events between 2-3 hours. I've got a good finish if I can get to the end.

Most of my riding is tempo riding, and it allows me to be able to cruise along in a bunch with much less effort (easier breathing, lower HR). I do other sessions, but these are ~50%.

This is what I meant by targeting weaknesses. This is the wrong training for Jack and probably everyones else reading this, but he did demand advice.
  • njee20
    Riding around 'as fast as you can' everywhere won't do much for your endurance though. 15 minute sub-FTP intervals (for example) would be better for your endurance as they'll increase your FTP more than hooning around quite a lot below your FTP.
  • 16mm
    bwtmc wrote:
    Ok right, im to busy in the day/night to train, so my intention is to train for a hour in the morns before work.. 3 times a week, i want to include things in there that will help me on the bike....

Hope this is clearer.
    Do you mean off the bike training, or 3 on the bikes sessions?
  • File Transfer Protocol?
  • 16mm
    njee20 wrote:
    Riding around 'as fast as you can' everywhere won't do much for your endurance though. 15 minute sub-FTP intervals (for example) would be better for your endurance as they'll increase your FTP more than hooning around quite a lot below your FTP.

I thought 1 hour as fast as you can WAS FTP. I'm not a coach though. And the longer rides are certainly not quite a lot below ftp, surprisingly little.

FTP = functional threshold power. The power you can do for an hour, often measured as the power in the last 20 mins of a 1hr effort. I'm not a coach though. Happy to be corrected.

I do 3-15 min intervals above FTP, as its 1/4 of the duration I can hold FTP for. Why would I do 15 min intervals below FTP?

I've found 'as fast as I can' has had a massive improvement in my endurace, measured by the ability to ride fast for a long time, at a low HR and light breathing. Like I said, it was my weakness. If it's not your weakness it probably won't do you much good.
  • njee20
    Have a read, regular intervals at 95% FTP will increase it. Sitting at your FTP doesn't have the same effect as quickly.
  • 16mm
    OK, so my training isn't optimal. It's OK, I train on a Wattbike a lot, and it says I'm crap.
    But the OP just wanted some training advice, and the advice to just ride as fast as you can for the time really isn't that shoddy, especially for someone who doesn't seem to have any goals.