3 bottom brackets in 3 years... WHY?

gailm61
gailm61 Posts: 2
edited September 2012 in The Crudcatcher
I have a Ridgeback Panorama. I have had to replace the bottom bracket yearly despite not completing nearly the required mileage RE needing a replacement. What could be wrong with the bike? or whatever ?

I am not technically minded tbh. . . .any ideas gratefully recieved

Gail

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Do you own a jet wash?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There is no required mileage, I've killed BB bearings in no time at all! One of those things
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I blame Wiggle.
    Doesn't seem fair to give a proper cruddie answer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • never mind 3 in a year, my bike went through3 of them in the 1st 4 weeks of owning it, turns out they were slightly to big for the frame and halfords didn't realise. Now i'm on my fourth one in 3 years, also been through 3 cranks and chainsets, also worn away one rear cassette and knackered a front gear mech and been through 8 pairs of brake cables and gear cables, buckled 2 sets of wheels (front and back) and had to have a wheel rebuild aswell on the back because of 5broken spokes.

All this without going near a trail or rough ground, just my daily commute to work which is only 13 miles round trip over a path

my bike is a carrera vulcan disc 2009, never buying a bike from halfords again, poor service and rude staff
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Diddums. Nice whinge.
    Seeing as the components are common to millions of bikes, I suggest you are rubbish at maintenance.
    Or something.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    edited September 2012
    How can a BB be a bit too big for a frame? Its either 68 or 73. Not really any variance in that regard, and 5mm seems more than a bit.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like a idiot is looking after the bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    How can a BB be a bit too big for a frame? Its either 68 or 73. Not really any variance in that regard, and 5mm seems more than a bit.

BB30? If the shell is slightly too small you may crush the bearings.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    njee20 wrote:

but as this is the crudcatcher and there has been little info provided stop pretending this is the Tech/Workshop area :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    njee20 wrote:

njee, Its a 4 year old Carrera Vulcan.... None of your fancy XC whippet stuff round those parts
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That Ridgeback comes with a UN54 according to the webz, which to be fair ought to last for ages with the sort of use that bike's designed for, and is a self contained unit so can't really be fitted wrong or anything like that. Square taper's not what it used to be but still, they last pretty well. How many miles in your 3 years?
    agentsammo wrote:
    never mind 3 in a year, my bike went through3 of them in the 1st 4 weeks of owning it, turns out they were slightly to big for the frame and halfords didn't realise.

Er, yeah, total bollocks.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Never had a BB need replacement, even though I thought maybe it was about time yet it didn't need it (and then I proceeded to forget utterly the thread direction and seized it on solid, still fine though).

And that's GXP which everyone slates as being rubbish. Perfectly fine if you fit them right (err, read the instructions, 10 minute job, dead easy). Oh, and I don't face frames either :P (arguably GXP doesn't need it but that's a matter of somewhat heated debate opinion. Frankly the fact I've not needed to replace a BB in 4 years says something).
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    dafuq-is-this-shit.jpg
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Good point.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    3 BBs in 3 years I wish mine lasted that long. My Canyon has an XT BB in that is getting a bit rumbly, I will try and get a couple more rides out of it. Basically I consider a BB a disposable item and if I get a year out of a £30 BB I am a happy bunny. All depends on where you ride I suppose if your pedalling through ankle deep gritty Pennine sludge regulary no bearing is going to last very long.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • njee20
    njee, Its a 4 year old Carrera Vulcan.... None of your fancy XC whippet stuff round those parts

Ah, yes, didn't read that, was thinking Boardman or sommat!
    but as this is the crudcatcher and there has been little info provided stop pretending this is the Tech/Workshop area

A sterling point!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSASd8-7BxoHZXDh1MdWhJW57dSTOWyO49LFhZb68TtI7n7kMbr&t=1
  • Clank wrote:
    dafuq-is-this-shit.jpg
    Some of us just prefer the CC for advice, I guess. Plus, it's deemed acceptable to give advice, coupled with the kind of insult salvo that leads to permanent mental scarring.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    gailm61 wrote:
    I have a Ridgeback Panorama. I have had to replace the bottom bracket yearly despite not completing nearly the required mileage RE needing a replacement. What could be wrong with the bike? or whatever ?

I am not technically minded tbh. . . .any ideas gratefully recieved

Gail

I'm not technically minded either but i'm always happy to inspect a young lady's bottom bracket for unnecessary damage.

In fact I have a friend who's girlfriends bottom bracket gets smashed apart every year, usually around his birthday.

welcome to the crudcatcher gail, its a dark, sorrowful place with more innuendo than a weekend with Bruno Tonioni
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • GAZLAR!!!
    Glad you're back, where the hell have you been? :D
  • Gazlar
    ive been on my jollys in a field in devon. Although I did find a mini DH, 4x and northshore course with a total wipeout assault course (unfortunately I had no bike with me but it is going to be the venue for my mates stag do I'm arranging)
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • did you remember to bury all the bodies in the field?
  • Gazlar
    i buried most of all the bodies in the field
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp