Camelbak opinions - Lobo, Charge LR, Octane LR & XCT ?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Got a HAWG NV which is great but really I got it for taking crap loads of kit including an SLR camera, originally for ski trips and then ended up on the bike rides.

What I really want now is something pretty slim but enough to hold the regular pump, spare tube, tools, wallet etc, plus 3L of water.

All kinds of options but currently just comparing this lot:

Lobo
Charge LR
Octane LR
Octane XCT

and wondering if anyone rides with these and what their opinions are.

The Charge & Octane ones in particular I'm interested in as they use a belt kind of bladder with storage up the back and sides, and wondered how that works for people.

The Lobo is a more traditional type I think. Smaller than a Mule?

LR ones though are 2L. The XCT seems to be a 3L version and Lobo is an 3L. I definitely need 3L. During the heat recently I filled with 3L going out and even then filled up with another 2 during the day!

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Dakine Nomad. Better organised, better bladder, more comfortable.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    i Have the LR as I love the bladder at the hips...... and can stash the bannana's in the main pac :) having weight at the hips suits me a lot more, whilst climbing. bearing in mind im already 16 stones :S
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I've got a Lobo. It'd hold what you list and a bit more, but you're right, it is smaller than a Mule (which I also have for longer rides).
  • equinefunk
    equinefunk Posts: 323
    I think the Charge LR is a great pack. But isn't a 3ltr.
    I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    equinefunk wrote:

Yeah it's just a 2l unfortunatley........
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • the mule is the one you need in youor life, it ticks all the boxes
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    mb london wrote:
    the mule is the one you need in youor life, it ticks all the boxes

Until you try the DK Nomad and then you sell the Mule and never go back.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Lobo looks a bit like my Rogue only with a 3L reservoir. Great pack but you've got to limit yourself to the essentials. I take out : tube, patch kit, pump, links, tyre levels, mini-tool, energy bars, phone, keys and a tenner. Not much room for anything else and certainly no room for a jacket. Much smaller a Mule

Works fine for anything up to half a day for me if you want more the Octane looks best to me.
  • equinefunk wrote:

But if you look at the 2013 range of Camelbak you will see that the Charge LR now has a 3ltr bladder, so maybe wait till they come out.
    Transition Trans AM 27.5
    Niner ROS9
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    DK Nomad looks a bit bigger than I want really.

How long would it take for the 2013 Camelbak models to hit the UK? The Charge LR does look nice (not in bright blue version though), though not sure about the water weight around the lower back. One of the areas I get back trouble thanks to last year's big off, though typically the lower back has been okay when riding.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    +1 for the Lobo, I was wanting the Mule for the extra size but the Lobo is fine for what you're wanting.
  • I have the mule, it comfortably holds an innertube, multitool, 3l of water, wallet, phone, flapjacks and a waterbroof coat. I'd get that.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font color="purple"><center><i><b><font size="2"><font face="Times New Roman"> "Boggis and Bunce and Bean. One fat, one short, one lean. These horrible crooks. So different in looks. Were none the less equally mean."</font id="Times New Roman"></b></font id="size2"></i></center></font id="purple">
  • Good grief, backpack envy - really? I have a variety of Camelbaks and each is superb. The bladders are amazingly easy to keep fresh and keep water cool for ages. They come in such a variety of shapes and sizes it seems unlikely that there is not one out there to suit your needs. Each to his or her own though, really, you can choose for yourself!
  • Just picked up a Dakine AMP for 40% off - not tried it yet (technically not bought it yet) but has decent space in it from what I can see, 3l reservoir and some nice little dividers/pockets for tools and what not.

Replacing my errant Mule (which will probably be returned as soon as I buy the Amp).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I was looking at the Nomad, but the AMP is cheap(er than usual) right now so I reckon I'll get one.
  • mb london wrote:
    the mule is the one you need in youor life, it ticks all the boxes

I agree, iv'e got the Mule NV and it is spot on. Holds enough kit but not so much space you start carrying un-necessary kit.
    Also has a handy helmet carrying compartment too

Evans cycles was cheapest to get form at the time as they had a sale on, paid about £80. the deals are out there if you look for them.
  • Camelbak Consigliere

410gvoPL2bL._AA300_.jpg
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8