B'Twin Triban 3

TarkMalbot
TarkMalbot Posts: 181
edited January 2013 in Your road bikes
Just bought my first road bike. Only cheap but will do the trick.

Here are some photos:

IMG_4273.jpg

fork_transmitter_zps5da6e7d8.jpg

IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4278.jpg

IMG_4282.jpg

IMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4279.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

Comments

• dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    nice one Mark. Cheap, but they do the job :)

get rid of those tyres though...

ps. i weighed my front wheel recently, as i was doing a tyre change, and was shocked that it was around 1.2kg, from this i estimated the rear to be at least 1.6kg, thats darn nearly 3kg on the wheels. If you can spare the cash, it would be worth changing the wheels for something like planet x model B's, which weigh around 1.6kg for the pair.
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    dcurzon wrote:
    nice one Mark. Cheap, but they do the job :)

get rid of those tyres though...

ps. i weighed my front wheel recently, as i was doing a tyre change, and was shocked that it was around 1.2kg, from this i estimated the rear to be at least 1.6kg, thats darn nearly 3kg on the wheels. If you can spare the cash, it would be worth changing the wheels for something like planet x model B's, which weigh around 1.6kg for the pair.

Or you could see the heavy wheels as a training tool and if you're really getting into road cycling a few months down the line go for the wheel upgrade. That is a pretty heavy set of wheels though. I just bought my wife a "cheap" bike and the wheels weighed in a just under 2Kg. I didn't know they made wheels that heavy :?
  • marcandre
    marcandre Posts: 43
    Congrats, looks like you'll enjoy it
    Trek - Fast Track 470

Cannondale SuperSix
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    Yeah I just weighed the front again, with tube and conti gatorskin, 1.48kg

Never really let it worry me too much though.

Mine is last years model so wheels may be different, but they have to keep costs down to be able to offer a bike at such a great price, I guess wheels is an easy place to cut costs.
    Think I prefer the new paint
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • TarkMalbot
    Cheers guys. I will look into some other wheels but at the moment its much quicker than my mountain bike! :lol:

I have also ordered some new Schwalbe Blizzard tyres that were on offer reduced from £22 a tyre to £5 a tyre! They have good reviews and are red! :wink:
  • Robert456
    Robert456 Posts: 103
    Best way to make your bike feel faster, lighter, etc? Ride an MTB beforehand, then everything feels like a superbike!

Interested, where did you get the tyres, I'm in need of something for my commuter
  • Not too bad looking bike! Should switch the bottle cages for some white ones though IMO, as the red is a bit too intense I think!
  • Tark Hello, congratulations, I love this bike

I want to buy it

that your size is?

here in Italy they sell the 54 and 60

which you have taken and how tall are you?

I am 1.69 cm with 79 horse
  • TarkMalbot

Tark Hello, congratulations, I love this bike

I want to buy it

that your size is?

here in Italy they sell the 54 and 60

which you have taken and how tall are you?

• if I am right here read 57

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u158 ... G_4281.jpg

but the extent of 57 Btwin those who wish to?

57 cm in horizontal length

or 57 cm seat tube (the vertical axis that holds the seat post to understand)

???????????????????????????
  • Sorry for the late reply. I am 182 cm tall (or 6 foot) and went for the 57cm I think.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    TarkMalbot

Crikey... if mine was that big I'd call it 'horse' as well! :shock:

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • I have one of these Btwin 3, and I love it. I been Mountain biking for years, and only got the Btwin 3, to see what road cycling is like. I think the bike is very light, and why pay another 800 pound to lose 1KG.
  • Just picked one of these up (Xmas pressie) in 54cm, had a short ride the other day and felt pretty good compared to my hybrid. First time out clipless as well!
    Giant Contend SL 2 Disc
    Giant Defy 3 Adv 2018
    "I brake for cake!"
  • Just bought one of these today from my local decathlon in Surrey Quays, feels great for the price.

Just wondered if anyone new what mud guards and pannier rack to buy.

Thanks for any help
  • Go with Crud Road Racer 2's. Great once set up and keep you and the bike really clean and dry.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

This is my 54cm version, staning on our snooker table!
    Giant Contend SL 2 Disc
    Giant Defy 3 Adv 2018
    "I brake for cake!"
  • Hi guys,

Im looking to buy a bike for commuting through london - about 11 miles each way (22 miles a day). I went down to Decathalon today and saw both the B'Twin Triban 3 and the flat bar B'twin Fitness 3. Both are 300 pounds and seem quite good bikes. And so Im having a difficulty chosing one.

Any ideas? I have no road bike experience, so toe clips and drops are new to me - are they safe in busy traffic through london. Or should I just stick to a flat bar.

Thanks a lot
  • bilsea159
    bilsea159 Posts: 256
    Just fitted Sks Blumels to one of these toaday as I needed a cheapish winter bike. Mudguards went on a dream with no rubbing and hopefully bike will serve me well. I priced up a few options, considered building a bike from parts but even a ribble frame and fork delivered was around £180. Total cost of this bike £320 including guards.
  • keanoo
    keanoo Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    sufdaman wrote:
    Hi guys,

Im looking to buy a bike for commuting through london - about 11 miles each way (22 miles a day). I went down to Decathalon today and saw both the B'Twin Triban 3 and the flat bar B'twin Fitness 3. Both are 300 pounds and seem quite good bikes. And so Im having a difficulty chosing one.

Any ideas? I have no road bike experience, so toe clips and drops are new to me - are they safe in busy traffic through london. Or should I just stick to a flat bar.

Thanks a lot
    Hey, I'm also having the same thoughts between the Triban 3 and Fitness 3, I've only ever rid mountain bikes, so the familiar handle bar of the Fitness is appealing to me.
    Can anyone shed some light on the differences between those two bikes? the Triban 3 has lots of great reviews but I can't find much about the Fitness at all.

Edit: Also meant to say, the Fitness is now £250 so £50 cheaper.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Looks like a good compromise.
  • TarkMalbot
    I don't know why but I tend to only use the road bike when I am going out for a dedicated ride and set myself up for it with the shorts, SPD's etc etc but if it is wet or I am just out to ride somewhere to get there on a bike I am using the Rock Lobster with road tyres on and suspension locked out.

I feel the mountain bike position makes it more suitable for having a back pack on and more stable for urban riding such as curbs odd bit of grass etc etc plus the fatter tyres give me much more confidence in the wet.

So as a compromise I would say go for the Fitness??
  • dbjockey
    dbjockey Posts: 10
    FYI
    I ride a carbon £1200 Ribble.
    Looked at one of these today, and was impressed the the build quality for the price tag.
    The tyres on the one at the shop were Hutchinson, so probably no need to upgrade those.
    I'm considering one for a bike that "I can lock up at the gym" without worrying too much.
    My only concern would be the 2300 groupo.
    Think it'll be alright as its shimano, but have only experience with tiagra up on a long term basis.
    Looks like a decent enough introduction to road cycling though all in.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Sorry for the necro. I'm looking at getting back into cycling again but my budget is low - as it stands I need to save up over the next few weeks in order to get around 300 quid together. I saw the Triban 3 in Decathlon last week and at 299 I was impressed - alloy frame, carbon forks - however I wonder does anyone know if it's worth upgrading? I'm not talking serious upgrades like Ultegra stuff, more the low end Shimano like Sora/Tiagra. I would go second hand but my fear is I would likely have no warranty on a second hand bike and I have a 5 year warrenty on the forks with this. I could wait longer and maybe get the Triban 5 which has a decent set up, sure it's another few weeks saving but doable.
  • MikeNAG
    MikeNAG Posts: 4
    Got my Nephew 13 years old one of these for his chritmas present, great little run around for the price and it also looks the part too! He did 50 miles across the peaks a month ago no problems. :D

One word of warning, though not a big one, check that all bolts etc are tight!
  • cwbb
    cwbb Posts: 16
    hi nice bike this bike had a review in this months[ cycle active august 2012] page 58 it won hands down out of the four bikes tested and had 20/20 for value the 4 BIKES TESTED WERE THE GT GTR SERIES 4 £700,THE VITUS DECIUM £900,PINNACLE DOLOMITE ONE £500 AND THE B'TWIN 3 £300 ,b'twin won with 92% then the vitus decium91% then in 3rd place the pinnacle with86% and last place was the gt gtr series4 with 84%
  • kenatnam
    kenatnam Posts: 1
    Just bought mine on the back of the magazine article, primarily for commuting 15 miles each way on instead of my mountain bike or hybrid - the prevailing wind is a killer sat upright.

£1 delivery and unexpectedly it came with a lovely quick release lighting set - highly delighted!

Now wondering how a couple of plastic mudguards can cost 10% of what I paid for all that lovely metal - doesn't make sense!

Ken :-)
  • cwbb
    cwbb Posts: 16
    kenatnam wrote:
    Just bought mine on the back of the magazine article, primarily for commuting 15 miles each way on instead of my mountain bike or hybrid - the prevailing wind is a killer sat upright.

£1 delivery and unexpectedly it came with a lovely quick release lighting set - highly delighted!

Now wondering how a couple of plastic mudguards can cost 10% of what I paid for all that lovely metal - doesn't make sense!

Ken :-)
    hi ken as i said in above post about the BTwin triban 3 could you please give a users review after youve had the bike on some outings with climbs and decents i would be very interested in how your getting along with this nice looking bike [as im still thinking about getting one and it would be very much appreciated many thanks ...colin] :D
  • had a specialized mtb for 15 months and was going to get a road bike from the same manufacturer but now decided to go for the triban 3 and save myself some money,thanks for making my mind up..( first road bike). :D