Trek 7100 FX Hybrid Thoughts on modify to MTB

per lundquist
per lundquist Posts: 3
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

First post, and looking for some info regarding my Trek 7100 FX.

Basically, can it be modified to a mountain bike spec, suppose, more importantly, is it worth it, against a new bike.

The bike itself, I have had since new in its supplied spec, fully serviced last year and in good condition, no fork suspension version, road tyres 700 x 35C on at present etc, and am now looking to go off road, either with this bike or a replacement.

If it could be done, would the wheels / tyres all that would be needed to be changed and if so, any ideas on size, make etc?

Any ideas, thoughts would be most helpful

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does the frame have enough clearance for a a larger tyre? If you get a new fork, then the front won't be a problem, but the frame might.

Looking at the spec of the bike I would thing it would be far easier and more economical to buy a new bike.
  • I once asked someone what they meant by "off road", and they replied that it was something like gravel patches, with lumps and bumps interspersed with stretches of grass (basically, repurposed marshland).

If that is your definition of offroad, then your current bike will do fine - perhaps with a change of tyres to something more knobbly, clearance permitting.

For harsher terrain, a new mtb will be more economically viable and fit for purpose.

Having said that, long before the term mtb was ever coined, people were already riding off road, up and down mountains, and probably doing crazy stunts as well. And on bikes that were lower tech and less well built as compared to the Trek 7100FX.

People in third world countries also don't care about labels - you should see what they ride and where they ride their bikes.
  • bikaholic wrote:
    Having said that, long before the term mtb was ever coined, people were already riding off road, up and down mountains, and probably doing crazy stunts as well. And on bikes that were lower tech
    But heavier, tougher bikes than a modern lightweight hybrid. With wider tyres.
  • Hi, thanks all for the replies so far.

Plenty to think about, also been looking at the sub £500 MTB section which has certainly given food for thought in terms of what I'm after and within the price range, compared to the cost of any mods in terms of tyres and wheels on the 7100.

Thanks again for the quick replies.

Rich