Improve 2300 shifting on a budget

paulus69
paulus69 Posts: 160
edited September 2012 in Workshop
I have a Specialized Secteur 2012 triple with a 2300 groupset which I got through a cycle to work scheme. The shifting isn't brilliant and I plan to buy a new bike in May 2013 when the scheme ends (as it'll be a cheaper way than upgrading the bike). That said I would like to improve the shifting on the bike and was wondering what could be achieved on a budget (i.e. less than £60), would minor changes such as changing the derailluer/jockey wheels have any effect?

I know the logical move would be to move to tiagra/105 shifters, although that is prohibitively expensive especially as I am planning to replace the bike in 8 months time.
Me on Strava
My cycling blog
Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec

Comments

• getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    It would help if you could describe exactly what the problem is with the current set up.
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Clean it and set it up so its A1. Maybe get your LBS to do it.

Remember 2300 is in some ways better than anything Merckx had.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Probably adjust the cables which will have stretched a little. And stop imagining that buying a new bike is a solution to lack of maintenance! Your existing bike doesn't need 'upgrading' so buying a new bike isn't cheaper - a new bike will behave exactly the same after a few miles.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I do maintain the bike, it was more a comment a friend made that I could have much smoother shifting on a different groupset and should investigate doing so.

I think it was a case that my friend is suffering a bit with the road bike elitism thing in that the cheaper groupsets are looked down on and I shouldn't worry about it!
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
  • one of my bikes runs and old 8 speed sora groupset (pretty much 2300) and when set correctly shifts very well, maybe not as light/smooth as my 105 but not enough to make me want to change it.

Maybe have a bit fettle and you could be surprised how well it shifts. If your still not happy then it may be worth looking into an old set of 105/ultegra 9/10 speed shifters but that would mean replacing the cassette/chain too.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    paulus69 wrote:
    I do maintain the bike, it was more a comment a friend made that I could have much smoother shifting on a different groupset and should investigate doing so.

I think it was a case that my friend is suffering a bit with the road bike elitism thing in that the cheaper groupsets are looked down on and I shouldn't worry about it!

I think you're right - I've not heard anyone slag off a Shimano groupset outright before and I'd tend to assume that unless you do big, big miles, your groupset is hardly run in yet. My Ribble has been going for probably 7000 miles now in all weathers and nothing yet is worn out or behaving differently to new. Virtually everything is nicely made now and works well so I just don't think you'd see a noticeable change from a posher groupset.

Personally, I'd get some satisfaction out of the inverted snobbery of not having an upmarket badge on my groupset!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • To be honest even the most expensive groupset can shift like a pig and even the cheapest groupsets can be made to shift smoothly. You could get a new set of cables for not much money or just maintain what you have. Make sure all the cables and mechs are lubed well. I find lubing the little plastic guide below the bottom bracket makes a massive difference. Also fine tune the adjustment on the rear mech so the gear changes are positive and instant. Its pretty easy really.
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    I'm guilty of this upgrade fever. Status envy for better and better components and bikes, as though it in some way reflects on our commitment to cycling, is what the industry feeds on. The main difference between one groupo and the next up is m.a.r.k.e.t.i.n.g.

A Specialized Secteur is a superb bike by any standards, better than some pro bikes back in the day.
  • Thanks for all the posts guys, I like the bike and am pretty satisfied so will cast away the groupset snobs!
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
  • munzy
    munzy Posts: 111
    I have run 2300 over the last 3 winters and summers and its shifts great.

In my experience that best things to do will cost you

£24.25

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/r ... inner.html

&

£11.35

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... chain.html

don't skimp on the cables - get the exact ones above
    and the 9 speed chain is much smoother than an 8 speed one, in both shifting and general running.
  • I'll give it a look cheers!
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
  • I would suggest fitting some BBB Roller Boy jockey wheels (or similar) to the rear mech. They only cost a tenner or so.

The BBB's have proper sealed cartridge bearings and keep the jockey wheels in perfect alignment. Take a look at the slack in the Shimano ones and you will see exactly what I mean.

I fitted them to my Tiagra and now 105 rear mech and they made the quality of change really snappy.

Al
    Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!